Johnson 150 Oceanrunner

CapeMayniac

Recruit
Need some help identifying a damaged part on a Johnson 150 OceanRunner. While doing a winterization on my son's Seaswirl Striper 21 I noticed a crack on a plastic part just below the top intake manifold on starboard side of the engine. Can be seen in the uploaded photo. Note crack runs vertically and mounting screw is loose causing separation between surfaces. Can anyone tell me what this part is and would it likely cause starting or performance problems in this condition? My son had starting problems on this engine most of this past summer and only noticed this while winterizing. I don't have much experience with outboard engines. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo305227.jpg
    photo305227.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a carburetor bowl. A lot of those 60*V6 motors have six carbs with plastic bowls. I had to replace all six carb bowls on my '98 Oceanrunner 150HPV6 last year, as they were all warped, and leaked. Likely someone tightened that bowl to stop a leak and cracked it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
id say.... from your experience definition, that doing all 6 carb rebuilds is a task too far for you..... if the gaksets are not sealed you get an air leak... then you are fighting demons to get the motor to run right....as well as fuel leaks... if you could watch an experienced guy do it once, then youd be OK....i replaced all my carb bowls on my 150, and they all had what looked like a crack...but there was NO leakage.... im not sure the crack penetrated THROUGH .....thus no leak....but they were warped bad like yours so i just bought new ones..... if you try it yourself...get the manual and find some youtube videos.... looks for several just in case youi get a guy who made a video but he really didnt know what he was doing!

CapeMayniac

Recruit
Thanks Chris and Bob. What you suggest makes sense. Even if the crack is not a source of a fuel leak (housing appears dry) or the cause of starting problem, it clearly needs to be replaced. Since it's my son's boat I will advise him that this needs to be done by a qualified tech. Your shared experience is much appreciated. - Marty

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Ouch---------This will cost you as they will likely install 6 bowls at $30 each and 6 carb kits at $30 each-----+ 3 hrs labor or so.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Ouch---------This will cost you as they will likely install 6 bowls at $30 each and 6 carb kits at $30 each-----+ 3 hrs labor or so.

yeah he is only paying for the 3 hours of labor over doing it himself...and it would be 5 hours with a first timer... and if he gets one gasket out of place....might have just as well not don't anything....( going by him saying hes not mechanically inclined)

CapeMayniac

Recruit
Thanks to all who offered their recommendations in the carb bowl repair. I found another issue on this outboard unrelated to performance. Can anyone identify this part by name for replacement purposes? Refer to photos. You can see basically a hole in the center of this cover plate on the starboard side of the drive housing just below the bracket. It is not a mounting hole for a fastener. It appears to be galvanic corrosion. It was not initially visible until by chance I pressed on a dime sized piece of paint that was flaking off. The paint came off with some metal attached. We've replaced all the zincs on the OB. Now just need to replace this part before it degrades further. The same part on the port side appears in good shape. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo306057.jpg
    photo306057.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306059.jpg
    photo306059.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 0

rothfm

Ensign
Thats the lower Engine mount Starboard side. That cover has a large rubber mount beneath it, pretty important part.

You will need the cover, and most likely the rubber mount. Either the cover has corroded itself. But more likely the rubber has swelled and pushed into the cover etc.

Take out the two LU mounting bolts on that side, after properly securing motor. Remove the cover, the work on prying out the old Mount if need be and replace.

CapeMayniac

Recruit
Thank you RothFM! ... for identifying the related parts and for the information on replacing them. I didn't realize that there is an underlying rubber mount but makes total sense.