V6 Crossflow VRO conversion

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,

I just got a 1987 Johnson GT150. Doing a cooing system and fuel system overhaul on her.

I had a 1984 Evinrude 150 XP and it had the two fuel pumps, both with block mount pulse ports. I know a lot of these motors had the block mount port(s) as well as the pulse limiter port on it for VRO, but I dont believe this motor has them both.

Anyways the back to back fuel pump kit is pretty pricey, but is that the only option for a new fuel pump with no VRO on this motor? If so, has anyone just taken two of the three nipple pumps and fabricated one to save some dough?

I just dont trust the fuel side of the existing vro, being 30+ years old.

Attached is a photo of the replacement that is around $200.

Attachments

• photo305115.jpg
    photo305115.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Rebuild the fuel side of the Vro pump and use it as a premix pump. I would worry more about the oil side at this.point in its life so disable that and go boating.

rothfm

Ensign
Been wondering about this also....Working on my 2 150's. One had the dual pumps with the inputs facing each other. One had VRO.

I'm keeping the VRO (mixing), and for the other I was thinking of of getting 2 of the 438556/559 cheap fuel pumps and making up a unit like in the pic. Seems like this would be like the original 2 pumps and also like your Pic.

Post with any info you may have, and If others think this Dual pump would work ok.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
The dual back to back pump will certainly work.

My motor has the spot to mount two traditional fuel pumps. I am going to take the pulse hose and hook it up to the two fuel pumps in series after they are mounted. Should work fine and be under $100.