1982 Johnson 40 HP commercial parts

Dairyaamodt

Recruit
This is my first post to a forum, please forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I searched for this before I posted, and could not find anything.

I recently purchased my first boat. It is a late 80’s Starcraft and it came with a 1982 Johnson 40 HP commercial motor model J40RWCN.
I am having a heck of a time finding parts for it. My problem is that I cannot find any websites that list compatible parts for commercial motors. Johnson did not make a recreational 40 HP in 1982 that I can find.

I am just curious if anybody could please help me in finding a way to find a parts list or a different motor that uses the same parts, so I can find replacement parts. I am not a master mechanic but I know my way around motors, but I am very new to outboard 2 stroke motors.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I know a few people on here have had commercial models and they have seemed to be able to get parts so it is possible.
Have you tried ringing a dealer to see what they say?
What parts are you after?

Dairyaamodt

Recruit
I know a few people on here have had commercial models and they have seemed to be able to get parts so it is possible.
Have you tried ringing a dealer to see what they say?
What parts are you after?

I have not contacted a dealer. I don’t have a lot of $$ to throw at the motor. I bought it on the grounds that it worked, it just needed the points adjusted. But then found out it has no spark, which I am hoping is the points. But it hasn’t been run much in the last 10 years, so I want to do regular maintenance things like impeller and plugs.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I have not contacted a dealer. I don’t have a lot of $$ to throw at the motor. I bought it on the grounds that it worked, it just needed the points adjusted. But then found out it has no spark, which I am hoping is the points. But it hasn’t been run much in the last 10 years, so I want to do regular maintenance things like impeller and plugs.

I wouldnt of thought a 82 had points, mine around that age have all had electronic powerpacks but im no oracle on what motor has what. An impellor shouldnt cost much and also some new gear oil so apart from that just head out to sea

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is a " commercial " model motor.---A design from the early stone age.-------An exercise to clean out a warehouse perhaps.------And yes the early ones in 82 and at least 83 used breaker points.-------This motor is similar in design to the 1976 model too.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I wouldnt of thought a 82 had points, mine around that age have all had electronic powerpacks but im no oracle on what motor has what. An impellor shouldnt cost much and also some new gear oil so apart from that just head out to sea

I think the 40hp work "commercial" models of that area where remakes of the 1974-1976 40 hp.....Maybe they had lots of parts left over from the 70s?