1965 Evinrude 6hp Cold start issues

Dirby

Recruit
My 6hp Evinrude fisherman is removed from boat and stored each week. The motor is a bear to start (50 pulls) when I first mount it up. After that, it starts first pull, idles perfectly, runs high speed perfectly-all day long. I disconnect fuel line and run until carb bowl empty before weekly storage. Same starting issue each week. The cold start problem after storage is the only operating symptom. I know this little thing should fire up after a few tugs. I hate to start replacing parts without some idea of what might be going on . Any wisdom will be welcomed and appreciated!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You should never pull an Evinrude 50 pulls. If it isn't running after 5 pulls, there is something wrong with it or you are doing something wrong.

From what you said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. So lets look at your procedure. Squeeze primer bulb till firm? Motor in neutral and throttle set at start position? Pull with choke out till it fires?

I have a hunch you are not giving it enough throttle. The lettered indicator plate on the twist grip is seldom correct. Try it a bit more toward "Fast".

Of course, it could be a problem with the choke, but they are so simple it would be hard to imagine anything wrong, as long as it is closing all the way.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does the spark jump a gap of 5/16", yes or no ?----Poor spark is a major cause of no start motors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Just thinking about it, I wonder how hard you are pulling the rope? Yeah, yeah, I know, the instructions say to pull it gently till it catches, then give it a firm pull. Or something like that. Phooey, give it a hard, fast yank. You won't hurt it. The only thing Not to do is pull it all the way to the end. That will break it. I prefer to grab the handle, palm up. That discourages pulling it all the way to the end.

Dirby

Recruit
Thanks for the advice. I have heard that the ignition advance linkages get worn (after 53years!) And may result in needing to set higher throttle setting for start up.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Keep it simple until it ain’t. Try closing the mix needle on the front, then reopening (c.clockwise) 1 1/2 turns. See if it starts at that setting when cold. If not after a couple of tugs, open it another 1/8 turn and repeat. Maybe one more adjustment before going on to something else.

The choke flap is just inside the carb throat (throttle flap is in the back). Make sure it’s tightly closed for cold starting. (Reach in with your finger and make sure it’s closed.)

The magneto/timing plate should rotate freely when you operate the twist grip. Post back if it doesn’t.

As suggested above, measure spark. That’s best done with an open air adjustable tester available at auto parts stores.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is best to run fuel out of the carburetor at the launch ramp !!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
true
I guess if you lay it down and you don't want to drip gas since it is stored each time but I never run them dry until storage time.

he could store it on a rack but if it goes in the trunk of the car :painkiller:

the big one 75hp ETEC is never run dry and stored fully fueled with high octane (no ethanol) and 2+4d for 6 months :smow:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fuel injection motors are a different animal altogether.-----They run just great but when it comes time for major repairs they are not worth it.----Just my opinion.-----Repair shops can no longer compete with factory computers / robots that assemble new ones.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
that day is coming..for me (injectors, EMM whatever)

my 2005 ETEC has been next to flawless except for a silly no oil code 38 problem but BRP fixed it for me in year 8 ....past warranty (nice of them to have fixed a problem that began 5 minutes into my first launch of my retirement gift to myself)

4-5 trips over 3-4 years with 100 mile return runs to an less than competent dealer had not solved the issue

that said the engine has been flawless but unfortunately the days of oil/gas spitters are not coming back :ban:

:focus:

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah. I'm dreading it as well. I just hope the EPA doesn't ban 2 smoke parts till I'm done fishing.