Johnson 35hp 1977 - Stopped suddenly - No longer starting.

nicholo

Recruit
Hi all,

Hoping to look for a guru or mentor here... First time working on an outboard, and I'm already stuck. Here's the story:

My father put this motor to 'rest' 30-odd years ago. Flushed with oil and fresh water.
Basically it didn't seize up and when I pulled it out a few months ago.

I hooked it up, fuel and battery, and within two crank attempts, started up, and sounded beautiful!

I revved it up a couple times, but suddenly it gave out. I tried starting it multiple times since then, and each time it wouldn't run. Occasionally it would fire ONCE on one cylinder, but it would crank over and over.

The top cylinder is wet and kinda black - some exhaust is coming out, so it's definitely burning, maybe not burning fully though?
The bottom cylinder is completely dry and doesn't look like it's had any action in a while.

I haven't really looked too far into the ignition system as I'm not a 100% sure as to how it all works.

I've cleaned out the carb as much as I could (although I didn't replace with new gaskets as I don't have any at this stage), but maybe I haven't done a good job.

Any help would be amaaazing~!

Thanks!

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Not a guru or mentor by any means,
more a bumbling dill actually,

Go back and start with the basics,
fuel
spark
compression

read the sticky " Top secret files" at the top of this page

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
after checking sparks and compression drop a teaspoon of mixed fuel in the bottom cyl ( take out the plug) close it up and restart

check delivery, any filters ??… pump the bulb maybe the fuel pump is going bad …

5150abf

Vice Admiral
After 30 years storage there are things that need done to this engine before it is run, I guarantee there is nothing left of the water pump, if run it could crumble and get bits of rubber stuck in the water jacket of the engine

I would also change the fuel pump, the diaphragm is more than likely not in great shape and more and change the lower unit oil.

And the carbs need cleaned, jets and passages most certainly gummed up.

I would do all these things before running it again, especially the carbs, since it is a 2 stroke, no gas no lubrication to the engine.

And were you running this on water when it did start?

And "I revved it up a couple times" as in just off idle or redline?