1968 3 HP Johnson (JW23A) Broken Prop

AR_Forester

Recruit
Hey Friends. Long time viewer, first time poster. I bought a 3HP Johnson this week for $25. Took it home, cleaned up the carb, and it cranked right up. I believe it is the "weedless" version. One of the blades (it's a 2-blade prop) is broken. After doing some homework, I have discovered the weedless motor has a completely different lower unit from the standard version. And......I cannot find a weedless prop ANYWHERE.

A few parts sites state that there is an optional replacement prop per the part number, but it's a 3-blade prop. Has anyone had any experience with these motors? Will either prop work? Thanks in advance.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I don't think the props are weedless themselves the keel is slanted to slide off the weeds below the prop itself

I would not worry about it …….it is basically a trolling motor anyway

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They made lots of those motors.----Props are not rare.----Your location ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, those motors are all over the place, certainly not rare. On the other hand, most of them are still running and the prop is still in use.

Yes, the angled lower unit is part of the shallow water capabilities, and the prop blades run very close to the gearcase and skeg, chopping off weeds that might accumulate around the prop blades.

EDIT (Original) 2-blade prop is part # 203919, 3-blade is 314806. Either will fit your motor. Both are listed as no longer available. Go to www.aomci.org and place a free want ad on their classified ads pages.

Last edited:

kbait

Commander
‘W’ in model number says it’s indeed a weedless gearcase. Any 2 or 3 blade prop will fit (from weedless gearcase 3hp ‘52 - ‘68, 4hp into the ‘70’s). No difference in performance 2 vs 3 blade, although some say 2 blade is more ‘weedless’. Get a used one from Tim’s Outboard 218-682-2331 (or salvage yard of choice), maybe ask for a couple of drive (shear) pins for spares, and ask for any knobs etc. that your motor may be missing.
Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

AR_Forester

Recruit
Thanks everyone for the great responses! Racerone- I’m in Arkansas. I called a couple local shops and was directed to you guys. I actually found a 3-blade, so I feel confident in moving forward. Happy thanksgiving, folks! Thanks a million.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I seem to recall that the weedless lower unit was geared to spin the prop a little faster while the prop itself was a bit smaller both in pitch & diameter. The idea probably is to present a smaller prop profile to weeds & cut through them like a Cuisinart if they finally do make it to the prop. The 20° downward angle of the prop centerline and the large angular skeg are the front-line defense before the said prop magic. Those weedless motors really do work in the weeds.

Oh, congrats on scoring the motor for $25. Make sure you give it enough oil in the fuel; OMC claimed 50:1 mix but that motor was the last holdover to switch to fully jeweled bearings (in 1978!) so 40:1 or even 32:1 would not get you labelled as silly. A few of these sweet little sewing machines have thrown rods due to being under-oiled. I did break one in on 50:1 ( a 1974 4-horse) because at the time that is all that was claimed to be necessary & the owner agreed, so I carefully & gradually broke it in, with brief ring-seating spurts. No problems with that one, and the owner got in after me and went full throttle across the lake. The motor was still around in later years so it didn't blow up that season anyway.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is that a 58 7 1/2?
DUH. There it is. Right on your post.:cool:

Last edited:

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These are my babies

Attachments

• photo306124.jpg
    photo306124.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 1