Motor won’t trim down

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having an issue with my motor trim. The tilt/trim motor seems to work fine. I can raise and lower it with no issues, but when I try and lower the motor all the way, it stops at the trim rods and won’t go down any further. It’s like the rods are stuck out and the motor isn’t strong enough to push them in. Any idea what would cause this or how to fix it. My motor is a [h=1]1996 Evinrude E130TLEDM 130hp[/h] Any help would be appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
try opening the manual release.-------Then run motor up and down.-----Close the valve again and test.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I open the manual release screw the motor doesn’t move when the tilt/trim switch is pressed, which is normal if I recall, so I’m not sure how I would move the motor up After releasing the manual screw.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
With the engine in the full tilt up position & locked.... check the fluid level and top off as/if needed.

With the release valve backed out two turns ( no further... ever! )... raise and lower the engine manually.

Let us know what you find.

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was able to get them to retract finally. I trimmed the motor completely up and topped off the fluid, which seemed a little low. Then I trimmed the motor all the way down, but still the trim rods would not budge, so I had a 200 pound friend stand on the motor while trimming it down and the rods did retract. After doing that, everything seems to be working fine now. The motor trims all the way up and down with no issues. I suppose they were just seized a bit in place and need some weight to break the seize.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not likely they were seized at all since they are all in oil.-----There are some valves in there the could have been stuck in the wrong position.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Double and triple check the fluid level..... being "a little low", the unit had/has air in it. Refill the reservoir a few times at the full tilt up position and re-check/fill until it remains full when checking. Your 200 pound friend just managed to push some air out of the way.