How does a GROWLER work?

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Johnson factory manual talks about using a "growler" to test the starter armature windings. Can anyone tell me how this device works and how to test the windings without one?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: How does a GROWLER work?

I can't think of any better explanation than this:<br /> http://www.martindaleco.com/pdfs/Electrical_Test_Equipment/Growlers.pdf <br /><br />Really, there's no good way to test armatures without one. Best you can do is give it a close examination looking for signs of overheated coils or mechanical damage. If you can find a local automotive starter/alternator rebuild shop, you might be able to drop your armature off with them for testing.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Isnt a "growler" the definition of the owner of a motor who has a bad starter?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Where I'm from, you go to your local microbrewery, hand them your empty growler, have them fill it with 64 ounces of your favorite ale, then take it out on your boat with some fishing rods and drink it. :p

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by farginicehole2:<br /> Where I'm from, you go to your local microbrewery, hand them your empty growler, have them fill it with 64 ounces of your favorite ale, then take it out on your boat with some fishing rods and drink it. :p
Obviously you're not from the Land of Oz. :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

only 64 ounces? wow what a short fishing trip. <br /> a growler will set up a magnetic field that if a winding is shorted to the iron core will cause a hacksaw blade or similar metal to be attracted to the core. used one for years and they work great. however anymore its not worth it to rebuild the things. takes to much time to do it correctly. at 75 to 100 per hour its cheaper to isolate it to a bad starter and replace it in a lot of cases.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unless you have a large collection of bad starter, and the ability to rebuild them, I would just replace the starter, and not bother with testing them that in depth .

realboats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very funny gents! :D <br /><br />Paul, excellent link. Thanks for the pointer. <br /><br />Imstillatwork, one thing I've learned about starters and alternators from cars, boats, just about anything, is to check the brushes before replacing the unit. On more than one occasion I've saved myself at least $200 by replacing a $9 set of brushes. Most service places will try to sell you a whole starter when they know a simple brush replacement is all that's needed.<br /><br />Also, I did do a rebuild on my Johnson V4 starter. It took 5 minutes to take it apart. About another 30 minutes had it cleaned, the continuity and brush checks shown in the factory manual done, brushes replaced, the bearings lubed and the starter put back together. <br /><br />Ignore the torque specs for starters! On a used starter, the chances are very good that you will crack the base if you try to torque to the values in the manual. From painful experience, I've found this can happen on a lot of other components, too.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry guys, I've never seen a growler of any size other than 64-oz. That's why I always take two! Yeah, I know it's only a gallon, but when it's 7.5% India Pale Ale, that's usually just about right. . .