1926? ABL-25? Need info on new (to me) Johnson

garycolwill

Seaman Apprentice
I just got this ancient Johnson. I tried to find the model number, which shows as ABL-25, but couldn't find that model number anywhere. According to the Yankee Chapter AOMCI website, this is made in 1926 given the serial number, which is 34323. That website, http://www.yankeeaomci.org/johnsonat85.htm, has a great PDF showing all the model numbers for early Johnsons, but ABL-25 is not there. Closest is AB-25, which shows as 2 hp.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo304506.jpg
    photo304506.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304507.jpg
    photo304507.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304508.jpg
    photo304508.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304509.jpg
    photo304509.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

garycolwill

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe “L” is for long shaft?

That's EXACTLY what Buccaneer said on the AOMCI website. It makes sense. How can I tell? I don't know long from short, in this context.

Also, if anyone can point me to any service manuals or parts manuals or any other documentation for this model family, it would be well received.

garycolwill

Seaman Apprentice
tom-manley from the aomci.org website gave the the info I needed. So, an ABL-25 is an A-25 with the B meaning brass lower and the L means long (good one, kbait!). However, the lower on this is from a different model - maybe -35 or -45 model. So, a frankenmotor. So long as I can get it running and it works, it's all good to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At one time aluminum was more expensive that brass.---It was common to see brass on lower units.-----That is before the they discovered electricity could be used to refine bauxite ore.

garycolwill

Seaman Apprentice
At one time aluminum was more expensive that brass.---It was common to see brass on lower units.-----That is before the they discovered electricity could be used to refine bauxite ore.

I thought the brass was for salt water applications.

Anyway, I now think, with the help of youtube, that this is not an A-25 of any type, but that the rope sheave was simply from another model that worked on this one. This is most likely an A-35, though there are some aspects that make think it's an A-45, like the pressure/vacuum cooling system (no piston pump), and the model O carb, but this one doesn't have the pressure relief valve that the A-45 does, so that has let to speculation that it's an A-45 with A35 jugs.

Anyway, I think I'll start tearing it down in a week or so as I get the time.