1992 Evinrude 90hp Won't idle

jaydubya71

Cadet
E90TLEND 1992 Evinrude 90hp. The motor will start, but will not idle. After hours of reading numerous posts on this forum, I have pulled the carbs, rebuilt and cleaned them thoroughly, I replaced the VRO pump with a regular fuel pump (as directed in the top secret files). I replaced the fuel lines as well because the old ones were in kinda bad shape. I have tested compression (119 in all 4 cylinders). I pulled the coil packs and cleaned the connections and tested them, they are good. I have tested spark, its good. I pulled the fuel line from the pump to the branch that goes into carbs and cracked the motor over a couple of times and there's good flow coming from the pump. The motor starts right up but the only way it will stay running is if i bump the choke. Ready to pull my hair out on this one. Any one have any suggestions? Thanks!

Lewis1111

Seaman
Sounds like you answered your own question,

'The motor starts right up but the only way it will stay running is if i bump the choke'

I would be pulling those carbs off again and doing a better job of cleaning them, make sure to trace fuel ports and be sure you can cleaner being sprayed in one end and coming out the other.

Make sure all the carbs are synced properly as well.

There should be a manual for your engine here: http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The electric primer puts fuel into the engine when you push in the key.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetors !!-----This strongly suggest that you have carburetor issues.------Perhaps check float bowls for warpage if they are plastic.-----Did this problem develop suddenly ?

jaydubya71

Cadet
The electric primer puts fuel into the engine when you push in the key.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetors !!-----This strongly suggest that you have carburetor issues.------Perhaps check float bowls for warpage if they are plastic.-----Did this problem develop suddenly ?

No, i have been battling with this motor for about a year (off and on). I bought it from someone here in town. It ran when i bought it, then the very first time i put it in the water , it overheated at idle speed, i barely got out of the ramp area. I replaced the water pump and tried to start it but i had starting issues. found bad cables, corroded connections and bad starter. replaced all, it would start but wouldn't idle. That's when i checked the compression, replace fuel pump, lines, cleaned carbs, etc. Sounds like i need to pull the carbs and clean them again. The bowls are plastic so i will check those as well.

jaydubya71

Cadet
Sounds like you answered your own question,

'The motor starts right up but the only way it will stay running is if i bump the choke'

I would be pulling those carbs off again and doing a better job of cleaning them, make sure to trace fuel ports and be sure you can cleaner being sprayed in one end and coming out the other.

Make sure all the carbs are synced properly as well.

There should be a manual for your engine here: http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Thank you Lewis! The manual will come in handy for the link and sync. I will pull the carbs off again and clean them this weekend. I didnt soak them in carb cleaner..should i have done that? I have also seen where some folks put their carbs in boiling water?

I feel like it is something so simple yet I cant quite track it down to get this thing running...

Lewis1111

Seaman
Shouldn't need to soak the carbs. I like to spray brake clean in through all those tiny ports you see and make sure I see where it comes out. I will then do the same thing with air. Make sure the floats are all set at the correct height before reinstalling. Carbs can be tricky at first but are quite simple once you get into them.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I’ve always had better luck soaking them, then clean every orifice with small soft wire followed by carb spray (using the plastic nozzle). I use lacquer thinner for soaking — need something to remove fuel varnish in tiny places.

On your carb, think I would disassemble and soak the top. Leave moving parts attached as well as lead shots. The idle jet can be left in place, imo. The idle channel on top should be opened up before soaking, along with domed plugs.

Protect eyes and hands.