1982 Evinrude 175, inoperative power trim pump

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1982 Evinrude 175 on the stands after buying it off Facebook marketplace. I got it fired up, but can't get the power trim to work. The pump has three wires: blue, green, and black. (Previous owner cut them when he removed the outboard from the old boat.) As I understand it, blue is up and green is down. I have continuity (1.4 to 1.6 ohms) from blue to black and from green to black and from blue to green.

But when I use a jump box to put 12 volts across blue and black, or green and black, there is no response from the pump motor.

Any suggestions for diagnosing? Can I put power across blue and green? That's how it worked on my old Force outboard two wire pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No point in putting power to the blue and green wires on that model.-----It is green and black or blue and black !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 82 models should have the 2 wire pump.-----But maybe it has an older system installed.-----Model # of your motor ?-----Have not worked on one in a while .----There may be a thermal protection device that needs contacts cleaned.-----Or simply the brushes need cleaning.-----I would take it apart before investing in a new one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
When you have the battery hooked up to it and it doesn't work, rap the trim motor with a screw driver handle once and see what happens.