1969 Evinrude 25hp sportster doesn't idle

I'm looking at a 69' Evinrude sportster 25HP that only runs in FULL throttle(doesn't idle), Owner says it's a carb throttle body problem! Fairly easy fix? Or is it something else? Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Only some trouble shooting will tell the story.----So do a compression test.-----See if spark will jump a gap of 5/16" on both leads.-----Do those before handing over the coins.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Seems like if it was an easy or cheap fix, the owner would fix it before offering it for sale. Seems like it would bring a better price.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I'm looking at a 69' Evinrude sportster 25HP that only runs in FULL throttle(doesn't idle), Owner says it's a carb throttle body problem! Fairly easy fix? Or is it something else? Thanks!

How do you know it only runs at full throttle, did you see it running on a boat in the water?

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is he asking the price of a fully functioning motor? If so, you need to perform the checks already mentioned and see it run.

Otherwise make it clear that you're buying a motor as is and the price should reflect it (i.e. a parts motor).

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Seems like if it was an easy or cheap fix, the owner would fix it before offering it for sale. Seems like it would bring a better price.

f.r all true

but I am still amazed at how a lot of boaters don't know or don't care to tend to anything beyond 30-40-50 years & because a lot of modern mechanics dont or won't touch old stuff… incl. simple cracked coils and points

maybe this 25hp from 50 years ago simply needs a good carb clean on the low speed side of the carb after the basics … like compression and ignition are taken a close look at …

gem or anchor that is the question !

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shops only get paid for completed jobs.-------On older motors they can spend a lot of time on a motor only to find that parts needed are not available.----Then half finished ( time sponge ) jobs clutter up the bench / shop / storage shed.---Few will pay a shop for the attempt / half done repair on old motors.---New motors are a much better source of revenue.

I found this on Facebook MARKETPLACE, I type "25 Evinrude" and it comes up as 1969 Evinrude Sport 25 HP boat motor, in Lansing Mi.about 50 miles from where I live! I talked to him and said " would rather get another motor than try to fix this"! I have COMPRESSION TESTER and know how to use! Carbs I have knowledge in! New coils ect.(COST I don't know)!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Coils are cheap at $25 each or less.----1969 was first year of the 25 HP 22 cubic inch motor.-----Wonderful motor if in good condition.

Actually, I was asking if this problem would be an "easy fix"! Sorry I worded it wrong! Owner doesn't want to try fixing!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Shops only get paid for completed jobs.-------On older motors they can spend a lot of time on a motor only to find that parts needed are not available.----Then half finished ( time sponge ) jobs clutter up the bench / shop / storage shed.---Few will pay a shop for the attempt / half done repair on old motors.---New motors are a much better source of revenue.

That's why a lot of shops(at least in Edmonton) ask for a few hundred dollar prepay(about 2 1/2 hr labour) when taking in an older motor in for service.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Actually, I was asking if this problem would be an "easy fix"! Sorry I worded it wrong! Owner doesn't want to try fixing!

It might just be a gummed up carb. Relatively cheap fix, but it might be more. Without the motor in front, any suggestion is, just guessing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Easy fix if you know what is wrong.----But it could be carburetor adjustment or scored piston.-----People invent wonderful / new ways to destroy outboard motors all the time.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
"All it needs is...." (similar to "ran when last used")

Buy it as a $40-$50 parts motor. Might end up as a runner. Be nice if you could get compression numbers first.

"All it needs is...." (similar to "ran when last used")

Buy it as a $40-$50 parts motor. Might end up as a runner. Be nice if you could get compression numbers first.

I talked to him(yesterday) about the motor! Not mechanically inclined! He has had a few guy look at! 1 offered $40, the other $150 to be used as a parts motor! He insists this is a HIGHLY sought after motor(really!) and wouldn't even take $150! Well I said thanks and NO! If I wasn't 80 miles away I'd go over there and check the compression at least! Thanks!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
He insists this is a HIGHLY sought after motor(really!) and wouldn't even take $150!

Highly sought after? Sounds like a used car salesman. I myself prefer the later(post 77), larger displacement 25hp, but some people do like the 22" version.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 22 cubic inch is one of the highest hp motors for its weight.------Has the same wrist pin bearing as a 125 HP model.----Same center main bearing as a 40 hp motor.-------So yes some folks like them.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 22 cubic inch is one of the highest hp motors for its weight.------Has the same wrist pin bearing as a 125 HP model.----Same center main bearing as a 40 hp motor.-------So yes some folks like them.

i sure do love mine. had her since new. dad paid 625 bucks for it. still have the factory carton