303391 carbon seal on 1959 5.5 hp golden jubile

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
went to replace the impeller and found the carbon seal has a chunk of about 15 gone .. missing

so is there anything...cheap to replace these pricy little piece of charcoal best I found was about 30$CDN :mad:

the motor...with 2x 90psi ……. was $60 + 2 chineese coils on eBay

what is the history behind this carbon invention anyway ???

thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I have a few of them with the inner seal ring. Shipping would cost me $4.50. PM me with a offer above that.

Whoops... Just looked shipping up on Canada... Bubble envelope= $10.00 for just a ounce or so. Can that be right?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The carbon seal is a variation of a concept used on many water (well) pumps. On the well pump, it is very effective in preventing water from leaking out around the rotating motor/impeller shaft. Likewise, in good condition, it is effective on the outboard in keeping water out of both the crankcase and splines. Historically, those two leakage paths were major killers of outboard motors (and still are today). Too bad the concept has been abandoned in "modern" outboards.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I have a few of them with the inner seal ring. Shipping would cost me $4.50. PM me with a offer above that.

Whoops... Just looked shipping up on Canada... Bubble envelope= $10.00 for just a ounce or so. Can that be right?

Yep, a fact of life.

EDIT: Add the price of the envelope and gas money to take it to the post office.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have a bunch of them as well , new and used.------Nothing weird about these carbon seals.----Still used every day on modern mechanical seals in many water systems.----Even in " heavy water " systems and on machinery that runs 24 / 7 all year long.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Glad you have some racer. I just took a closer look at the two I had. They've been sitting on the shelf for at least 20 years and time took its toll... cracks etc... I threw them in the trash as they'd never hold up and would contribute to double work.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
thanks all for info and offers I'll concentrate on the rest of the work before passing on to reassembly… I got all winter