First time trying to start 63' johnson super seahorse 40hp

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for any help on my first start attempt! Put in a carb kit, fuel lines, some fuel pump parts, lower unit gear oil, and bought some fuel! I think im ready to attempt a start but dont know about settings or really anything for that matter. Im going to use half a trash can unless theres a better option pleas all help and tips welcome. Ill include a link to a quick video if you see anything im missing please let me know. This site has already provided a lot of help and i love the support from the community. Let me know what you guys think!
l

Last edited by a moderator:

lindy46

Captain
Replace the water pump impeller. You don't want to risk overheating or have an old impeller break up and clog the cooling system.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^agree.

Leave the prop on. Fuel ratio (gas to oil) is 50:1 -- slightly under three oz. of TCW-3 2-cycle oil for each gallon of gas. Empty the tank of any old gas, and test run with a gallon or two of fresh mix. A plastic trash can works -- water about half way up the leg. Run only at idle or high idle. Start in neutral. Red throttle knob at idle, or slightly advanced. Check the temp at the top of the head while running -- should be able to hold the heel of your hand on it for a few seconds. Too hot to touch is too hot (Shut it down).

Set the idle mix needle on top of the carb to 1 1/2 turns open from lightly closed -- should start at that setting. Likely will adjust slightly leaner (clockwise) after it warms up.

Last edited:

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks guys i had stongly considered replacing the impeller and im not in a rush so ill order one. Thanks for the start directions...ill post a video when its time to give her a whirl!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A good magneto can produce enough voltage to jump a gap of 5/16".----Does the spark on yours do that ,yes or no ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^can check magneto output and compression before firing it up or changing out impeller. Get an open air, adjustable spark tester (auto parts store) -- may be able to borrow a compression tester at the parts store as well.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Send me a link for correct parts pls!

I was given the advice of changing my impeller...i jumped the gun and ordered just an impeller...now wondering if i should have gotten a kit..[water pump kit/impeller kit?] send me a link for correct kit pls im not sure what to order. Same 63' 40hp johnson super seahorse thanks

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
I jupmed the gun and ordered just an impeller...im probably gonna need gaskets or other parts in this change out process arent i?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If you want to check, impeller is 0777213 (oem) or 18-3083 (Sierra). (That would be for an RK-25.) I haven’t seen a kit.

I’ve rarely needed a full kit. If the housing is broken, that would be an issue — or water tube grommets missing or broken. Those parts can be purchased individually.

The stainless impeller plate can usually be cleaned up and reused.

Java_guy23

Seaman Apprentice
Weather isnt good right now or id go check the magnetos racerone. Ill let you know when i do though

Last edited by a moderator: