89'Johnson no spark, tilt wont work

bouymarker

Cadet
Motor had been running fine for many excursions. I started off as usual for 1 person launch, i let the motor idle while I parked the trailer. Took out of the marina in idle for several hundred yards and gave it gas. Motor immediately shut off and wouldnt re-start, I cleaned the carbs on the water and all the fuel system. I got a tow back to the landing, loaded the boat and moved the tilt up. Tilt wouldnt lower the motor when i got back home. You could hear the relays clicking. Swapped the relays and the tilt worked. I cleaned the carbs and fuel system, new spark plugs. I looked the motor over pretty good and used engine cleaner, I also fixed a couple of bad looking wires...She cranked up perfectly and I ran it for several times for long periods of time ( Im going offshore), tilt worked perfectly many times....last week I went back out and everything was in running order. I unloaded the boat left it in idle while i parked the trailer, came back, idled out of the marina and situated myself for a long test ride. Immediately when I gave it the throttle it shut off. I moved the tilt up for the tow back in. The tilt doesnt work and there is no spark.

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
to many things are happening

how about all contacts between the batt, cables and the engine …. sounds intermittent with corrosion of loose connections

polish up batt cables and if need be try a new fresh battery ...they to can go nutty intermittent sometimes