Plastic lawn mower filters on pressurized fuel side on 5.5 hp

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
well my C clip holding the glass bowl on the side filter on my 5.5 vanished in my shop :noidea:

if it stays vanished all winter long can I use those lawn mower plastic filter on the pressurized side from the tank to the carb or are these filters strickly to be used on the vacum side of modern pumps

don't ask me where it flew of to I looked all over the place after it fell to my feet . I know i'll find it one day..but what year ?

for now I am moving on to ingnition and carb cleaning ….

F_R

Supreme Mariner
what fuel pump are you using? You might not even need that filter, 'cause the fuel pump may have a filter. On the original pump, it was on the pump inlet fitting (unscrew fitting). On omc replacement pumps, the screen is behind the plastic pump cover/inlet.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Frank the 5.5 1959 Jubile is the basic 50's CD with pressurized fuel tank I haven't converted this one but come to think of if I may very well convert it to pump (with filter) and suck the fuel instead

that way… I could ease my worries & add an extra mower filter on the new " suction" side (cheap investment)

a nice round B&S would mount nicely where the current side mount thread is (lots of room) I pretty sure I have an extra motor side single line connector if it comes to it.

I know you prefer to keep them original but this one has a cowl that has been brush painted white and blue ….over the original gold paint :crazy:

the rest is great 90 psi each cyl, no GC water leaks nice cracked coils (now replaced and points polished... the points rub bars are not even worn down ) both plugs are firing nicely :flame:

thermostat screws virgin :drama:

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I guess I didn't realize they used the side mount filter on the 5.5hp pressure-tank systems. But, yep they sure did in '59 at least.

Naturally, I can't vouch for the pressure resistance of the mower filters. I suppose it depends on which one.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Found it… :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the little critter went on the floor under the lower shelf of my work table ...and crawled behind an old tomato can

maybe my old 59 Jubile will survive without surgery for a new heart and lungs :joyous:

sorry guys I had to share this happy moment