1991 Johnson 150 ocean runner need help/advice/snarky comments

Heywood2

Cadet
I store me boat in Panama city florida in a dry storage marina.After hurricane micheal passed through and tore up the whole area I was able to go retrieve my boat.I was lucky my boat was untouched and undamaged,many others were not so fortunate.
Last time I ran the boat (2months ago) it ran perfectly. Engine started normally but had very rough idle,would not make power over 2000 RPM . I drove the boat in this condition to the boat ramp and loaded the boat using the trailer winch since it wasnt making enough power to load drive it on the trailer.
I got the boat home and I suspected water in the fuel since the marina wall had blown in and the boat was rained on by hurricane force winds. However I found no water in the fuel separator.I changed fuel filter and ran the motor but no change.
I did notice a grey goo substance coming out of the prop hub that was definitely not normal. It looks like exhaust mixed with water and unburned fuel.Im going to post a pic of it if the forum will let me.
I began thinking it might be a blown head gasket so I did a compression check.Cold engine all cylinders had 90 psi+/- 2 psi.
Anybody seen anything like this grey gooey exhaust? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo303864.jpg
    photo303864.jpg
    989.6 KB · Views: 0

Heywood2

Cadet
Also some things I forgot to mention. All the sparkplugs looked normal ,looking down into the cylinders all looked normal,
And I checked the gearcase oil and it appeared normal .

Heywood2

Cadet
Thanks racer
im planning on doing that tomorrow as soon as i can get another person to help while i check the spark
any idea what that exaust goo might be?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
unburned fuel and water mix. Maybe the hurricane power washed the electronics, giving you ignition issues.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Spark check first. If missing 3 cylinders,it being a salty (CC rotation and PC FLA) check the shift switch on linkage.

Heywood2

Cadet
Checked for spark,
no spark on the 3 cylinders on the starboard side of the motor
checked /cleaned all the grounds for corrosion
no change
I’m thinking the powerpack is shot
anyone have any other ideas or advice?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check the shift switch !!----Testing is what is done to save hard earned coins !

Heywood2

Cadet
Tip of the hat to both Racerone and Faztbullet,
disconnected the shift interrupt switch and spark was restored to all cylinders.
thanks guys