Lower Crank seal 80's 9.9/15

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all ,

I have a 1981 Johnson 9.9 that has the seal retainer for the crankshaft lower bearing/driveshaft that has one seal P# 0321831

The later models (starting around 1984 (i think) have two seals the 0321831 as well as a 0321788 stacked.

The seal housings are different. The housing for the 1 seal one is p#0385971 and the two seal one is 0394327.

Can I stack both seals (as in the later models) in the 1 seal housing for peace of mind? To replace the housing it's like $100 and wouldn't be justified

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They eliminated the groove on the driveshaft and that is why there is a second seal in that housing !-----What exactly are you trying to do ?-----Does your driveshaft on the 81 model have a groove on the end below the spline, yes or no ?

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Racerone.
I have the powerhead off due to a bad (closed off) cooling tube grommet. With the powerhead off decided to upgrade to 15hp with reed/exhaust tube/carb from a parts motor, and figured it would be a good time to change that seal. Not at home, but believe my driveshaft should have the groove. If memory serves me there is supposed to be a sealing oring on the driveshaft groove, right. Why did they make the change? Were there issues with the old design?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The issue with the old design is that often the o-ring was left off the shaft.------And design changes are often done when cost savings in a factory come into the picture , believe it or not.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, The motor did survive it's first 38 years lol.

One more question. Does the seal go face up or face down. It was in face (flat side) on the outside, but seem to recall somewhere that it was supposed to go in backwards of that.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to double check before I put it together. What orientation do I place the seal? I couldn't find the info anywhere and parts diagram isn't clear enough to tell.

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe if you look at the 92 model parts book it clearly shows how this is assembled !

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, but the 92 has the double seal. I would assume if it's the single seal type the seal spring would be on the inside (sealing off the oil ) using the oring to block water. Is this correct logic?

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, but the 92 has the double seal. I would assume if it's the single seal type the seal spring would be on the inside (sealing off the oil ) using the oring to block water. Is this correct logic?

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You have been a huge help! I hope I wasn't taken wrong.

Just the 92 parts diagram shows the two seal version as in the attached screen capture. Mine is the old style with the single seal in the carrier and the oring on the driveshaft. Was just wondering which side up on the single seal version.

Thanks,

Attachments

• photo303888.png
    photo303888.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 0

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Flat side into the head, just like in the exploded parts view you posted.

For greater certainty, look at PN 0394327...it shows the seal installed into Crankcase Head & Seal Assembly.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome, thank you . For anyone catching this thread at a later date, here is the photo for clarity of single seal version.

Attachments

• photo303987.png
    photo303987.png
    855.8 KB · Views: 0