1969 Johnson 60hp shift problem lower unit

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a problem with a frayed wire that was causing the shift to not work correctly. The green wire had broken completely near the boot of the shift solenoid cover. So I removed the shift solenoids cover and it seems like it's going to be hard to run a wire through that cover while keeping it watertight. Anyone with suggestion? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm thinking drilling through the rubber boot and running a wires through with silicon, and then adding more silicone?

the other problem I have is reinstalling the solenoids into the housing. There is a ball and socket joint that keep slipping off when I push down on the rod, probably because it's not going into the hole below. Is there a trick to it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have a 55hp. Do you have the lower unit removed from the motor?

Waterproofing a substitute wire is pretty difficult.

Paulywog0667

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just did a similar repair on my 72 hydro-electric. I cut the wire, pried out the rubber cord and smegged in black gasket sealer into two replacement o-rings from a seal kit. If you're careful, the o-rings fit over the sheathing. My solenoids had knife connectors with tubing over them in the gear assembly. Much like what you see at the powerhead. I used weatherproof connectors, tape and shrink tubing to fix the wire.

Doesn't seem a reason why Quad caulk wouldn't work though. There's a clip that holds the wire though. If the short isn't too close to the sheathing you might be able to save it.

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The wire is cut at the sheathing and corroded as well. The problem I have is installing the two solonoid and rod assembly back. Everytime I tried to get them all aligned, the ball and joint assembly would separate.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the oil drained so you can see where the bottom " ball and joint " needs to go ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The wire is cut at the sheathing and corroded as well. The problem I have is installing the two solonoid and rod assembly back. Everytime I tried to get them all aligned, the ball and joint assembly would separate.

It seems like there is something you aren't telling us. There is no "ball and joint assy. How about starting out with a positive I.D.? Or a picture? A 60hp is different than a 55hp.

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah. I think I I.D. the engine incorrectly. It is definitely a 60 hp lower unit. It's 1971. I bought this motor as a part motor for my 1972 65hp. Sorry for the mix up. I will snap a picture when I'm home. Thank you for your input thus far....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it has the " ball / socket " on bottom of solenoids then it is a 68 or 69 model lower unit on a newer motor.

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Currently I have the ball piece in the hole in the lower unit. I have to try to take it out now. I dont have a plier long enough to get in there and turning the unit upside down haven't work. But I'll try that again. However the problem is once I attach the ball and joint, when trying to align the solenoids and rod, the piece wont go into the hole. At least I'm having a very hard time aligning it. And when pressure in applied, the piece fall off the joint.

Attachments

• photo303748.jpg
    photo303748.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303749.jpg
    photo303749.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303750.jpg
    photo303750.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It appears that something is broken on the bottom of that plastic assembly at the bottom of the solenoids.

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same assembly. On mine the nylon 'cup/socket' was damaged. If the ball of the metal plunger is falling out of the nylon socket there may be a crack in the nylon cup, or the nylon is too worn to secure the ball. I was not able to find a replacement piece as it only comes as a part of the assembly and the assembly is no longer made. If you have a wiring issue as well I would try and replace the whole assembly.

best of luck.

DWM76

Seaman Apprentice
It would be helpful if you provided model numbers though as there are some small but significant differences in the design of these solenoid assemblies and how they function with the hydraulic pump. i.e. certain years/models do not have the ball/socket plunger as mentioned above.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Only the 68 / 69 models used that style of control of the oil flow / pressure.----And used parts can be found if you take the time to search for them.

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With the help of a long grabber tool from Amazon, I was able to pull put the joint piece out and then attached it to socket. Then using light to peek in was able to finally aligned the rod and solenoids into the hole. Happy that it is all functional now. Next up would be to pressure test the lower unit for any leaks

Nicktr23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's my attempt for sealing the wire. Took 2 days for the permatex to dry. It is very flexible. Let see if it will seal water out and not shrink. I'll keep an eye on it.

Attachments

• photo303891.jpg
    photo303891.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 60hp, it is not a 69. 60hp did not arrive until the 1970 model yr. 68 and 69 were 55hp