1980’s Johnson 110hp problems

Frankie8

Recruit
I have a 1980’s Johnson 110 vro that has been acting up! Will start up fine but when you put in gear it sometimes cuts out and when you give it throttle when it is in gear is just bogs down and runs like crap! and sometimes will pick all of a sudden and run fine! I have replaced fuel pump new plugs new wires new starter new fuel line new fuel water separator! Anyone have any advice compression is good on all cylinders also!

Attachments

• photo303492.jpg
    photo303492.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What are those compression numbers ?----Does spark jump a gap of 7/16" on all leads ?-----Test run with the cowling off ?-----Flywheel key checked ?

fireman57

Captain
When it runs like poo check for spark with an open air gap spark tester. Sounds like dropping a cylinder or two. Start with the basics

Frankie8

Recruit
It’s in between 115 to 120 on compression and and pretty sure it’s getting spark and have not checked the flywheel key yet should I? Is it a complicated procedure? Runs fine on the muffs but when I go to water test it will cut off when put into gear and then if you quickly put it and gear it and proceed to throttle up it will bog down! When you give it full throttle it bogs then all of a sudden it will start to pickup randomly and run smoothly with no bog? But then when you come back down to idle it will do the same thing all over again! It seems like it’s not running on all cylinders but then again when it picks up it’s seem perfectly fine

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They all " bark and roar " on a hose because there is no load on the motor.----They sound " fine " on a hose running on 3 of 4 cylinders.------You think it is getting spark, but then you say you are not sure ?------Some simple trouble shooting needs to be done here.

Frankie8

Recruit
I just went out and checked the spark on all cylinders it’s fine and compression is fine on all cylinders

fireman57

Captain
If spark and compression are both "fine" whatever that is then I would suspect a middle range or high speed jets in the carb have crud in them. When was the last time they were cleaned or rebuilt?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
How did you check your spark to say it's fine on all cylinders