Might have it narrowed down

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fellow boaters, Had posted a while ago about a throttle cable that was not getting the butterflies all the way open, in fact, was only barely cracking them. I had someone operate throttle while I studied what was happening. I have an attached picture to help illustrate. When Sandy pushed the throttle forward the brass piece moved about an inch or more before it seemed to move the black plastic connected to the motor's throttle linkage. Has this brass rod become broken inside the black connector or is it supposed to slide in and out 3/4 - 1 1/2" before actuating the black plastic piece on the end of the throttle cable? Need to know before changing out throttle cable. Shift linkage cable does not have the brass slider and seems to be working fine. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo303445.png
    photo303445.png
    74 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 cables ( shift and throttle ) are the same part # so there is something wrong with that cable.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That makes sense then. I will get the old one out, measure it and then order a new one. Thanks for the fast reply.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might look for a stamp on the cable indicating length, rather than measuring (as extended length is a problem at the moment). And you may need a longer cable. If your cables were cobbled together by a PO, you might want to replace them both (sounds like the throttle cable isn't doing the job, and the shift cable is missing a part.) There is a fair amount of adjustment with the wheel (throttle cable). If the cable is clamped in the right spot for your motor, it's possible some additional adjustment would solve the throttle problem. On your motor, the cable runs through the pan using a specialized clamp.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will look for the stamp and definitely replace both cables. Thanks for the expertise. Always appreciated.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will look for the stamp and definitely replace both cables. Thanks for the expertise. Always appreciated.