Evinrude 85HP bypass neutral?

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up my second boat and motor about 3 weeks ago, its a 17foot Cobia with an 85HP Evinrude, my first boat is a 14foot Feather Craft with a Johnson 9.9. I started to do some work on it over the weekend, I got the 85HP motor started right up. I have only replaced the throttle cable so far. When I started the engine though neutral does not work. My first question is how do I fix this? My second question is why would someone bypass the neutral? The previous owner did tell me that he bypassed the neutral. I appreciate any help with these questions.

Attachments

• photo303440.jpg
    photo303440.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is a 1972 with Hydro-Electric shift. Most likely cause is a defective shift switch in the control. If it goes into reverse, neutral is working as far as the rest of the motor is concerned. Owner "bypassed it' sounds like BS, in my opinion.

If my guess is correct, the cure is replace the shift switch. Very $$$$ if you can even find one.

But don't guess---test

EDIT: Or, does it even have the shift switch in the control, as it originally was? Or did he substitute something else because of the cost?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If motor is not running it will be in forward !--------Motor shifts to neutral after 1 turn of the flywheel.-----That is on a motor in good condition.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I will go out and take pics of the shift switch and the inside of the motor. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Here are the pictures of the switch and the motor. The guy before me also put a random fuse on the motor for some reason. The motor actually runs so I haven't touched anything other than replacing the throttle cable.

Attachments

• photo303450.jpg
    photo303450.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303451.jpg
    photo303451.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303452.jpg
    photo303452.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303453.jpg
    photo303453.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe it is a " random fuse " at all.------Just replaces the factory fuse that was there.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I had a 1970 model of that motor — trying to remember how the push button controls were constructed: [url]http://ww2.iboats.com/Remote-Control/dm/cart_id.859154485--session_id.584613039--view_id.1553492[/URL]

The bracket (#7) on yours looks like it is canted off to one side, and probably missing a screw. The pushbutton yoke is a critical piece that (I think) physically blocks off the F/R buttons unless the lever is in the neutral detent. It’s plastic and they break (appears yours is missing).

Check the fuse you were curious about to make sure it's not blown.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
The fuse is not blown I just checked it.. What would be the best way you think to get the neutral working or something I could try to fix it?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would first try to make sure the assembly is correct. As I recall, you can run it without the plastic yoke, albeit carefully. I would think the bracket has to be installed correctly, though.

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Here is a pic of inside the box. Your saying I need the #7 part from the diagram ? do you see anything else that I should replace? Not sure about the yoke you speak of. Let me know if you see it in the box. thank you all again for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
On the starboard side of the powerhead, you will find two wires that come up from the lower unit. Slide the rubber insulator sleeves aside, and you will expose disconnect terminals. Do not disconnect them for this test. Using a multimeter, check voltage on those wires in various shift switch positions (key on, not running). With neutral button pushed, you should see near battery voltage on the green wire. With reverse button pushed, you should see near battery voltage on both green and blue wires. With forward button pushed, no voltage on either wire. Push the buttons at random several times. Make sure voltage appears on green wire each time neutral button is pushed. If it does not, you have a bad shift switch or a wiring fault somewhere between the shift switch and check point.

Yes, you have parts missing from the shift switch mounting area.

Attachments

• photo303457.jpg
    photo303457.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look at the parts diagram to figure out what have and don't have for the shift switch assembly.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You're also missing parts on the throttle cable assembly in the control box too

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
So, I replaced the switch assembly today. Does anyone have any other ideas what could be Causing it not to go into reverse?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shift piston bore is damaged.----Low oil pressure.----Lobes worn off the reverse gear and clutch dog.------Do you get neutral now ??