Qd-15

kobrien50501

Recruit
Hi All,
I have a QD-15 and can't seem to get a good spark from it. I have replaced the points and condensers coil packs and plug wires. Also replaced the plugs and rechecked my point gap to make sure it was .20. and still has very poor spark. Could it possibly be a bad/weak magnet in the flywheel causing this? Thanks for any input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
About as much chance as winning that $Bil Lottery. Flywheel magnets made since WWII just don't go bad.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If curious, dangle a small screwdriver next to a magnet -- chances are the magnet will grab it.
Need solid contact with the wire inner core at both the coils and connectors at the plugs. (Point gap is .020.)

lindy46

Captain
CLEAN those new points. They can have an oily film on them. Use acetone. I dip a piece of business card stock in acetone and run it though the points.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
+1 on cleaning the points . Also, make sure the spark plug wire you used is copper core, not modern resistor core. Spark should be checked with an open air spark tester set at 1/4". If it jumps that gap you have sufficient spark to run.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the coils are properly adjusted / set in place.-----Make sure points open at the correct time to get maximum spark.-----The timing marks on flywheel and magneto plate are used in that method.

kobrien50501

Recruit
Thanks all I will clean the points. The legs of the coil packs are even with the mountings. I had a heck of a time but I did get copper plug wires that is what I replaced the old wires with.