Evinrude ignition/starting problem

fisher-man

Recruit
Well...<br /><br />Chalk up another "simple" task gone wrong. Here's the story:<br /><br />I have a 96' Evinrude Intruder 150. My tilt switch on my throttle went bad, so I replaced it by bypassing the switch & running a push-button switch instead. Trim works fine, but now I can't get my motor to turn over. When I turn the key, no clicking... no nothing. I charged the battery, checked the fuses, and all is well in those departments. <br /><br />I'm thinking that I either:<br /><br />1. Blew a fuse that I can't find (I've checked both the boat console & in the engine compartment)<br /><br />2. Knocked off the calibration on my controls for the neutral-only start mechanism.<br /><br />Can anybody help before I decide to apply a stick of dynamite to the whole operation?

angus63

Captain
Re: Evinrude ignition/starting problem

Welcome Fisher-man!!!!<br /><br />Time for a beverage and a break for a while!!!!<br /><br />First- Check that battery terminals and engine connections are very clean and tight.<br /><br />Second- The main fuse is in a holder near the main harness barrel-type connector(big red or black plug)on the port side behind the starter.<br /><br />Third- Is the safety lanyard switch positively made?<br /><br />Fourth - Wiggle the control arm to see if the neutral switch is a bit off?<br /><br />Fifth - Jump the solenoid to rule out solenoid and starter?<br /><br />Since I assume you had the control box apart to do the new trim switch, my guess is, as you said, the neutral switch is not being "made" or a wire from the ignition switch was knocked loose.<br /><br />Give them all a look and let us know what you find.<br /><br />Save the dynamite for July 4, 2006 !!!!<br /><br />Good luck

fisher-man

Recruit

Angus 63,<br /><br />Thanks for your quick response! Are there any other engine fuses I should check before I get into the control unit? (I checked the main 20 A one, but a friend of mine said that there's more than one on my motor...)<br /><br />I'll put away the dynamite for now, but I'll make no guarantees...

angus63

Captain

Not that I am aware of......

fisher-man

Recruit

Angus,<br /><br />I fixed the problem. One of the connections to the neutral switch had come undone when I moved the box around to replace the trim switch. Plugged it back up, and... vrroommm! Thanks for your help!<br /><br />--Fisher-Man

angus63

Captain

Outstanding!!!!!!<br />Catchem up........