1984 Evinrude 15 hp e15RCRM

thatone123

Banned
Having a real hard time figuring this out. This motor has the round tuned exhaust which does not seem real common as most of the years and listing for this motor show the square exhaust. Even on the Crowley listing it shows the square one but says the SEL model is something else but does not show a SEL model. I need the inlet and exhaust rubber grommets and was sent the ones for the square tube I think as they do not seem to fit this tuned exhaust as they are too tall. I am not sure but it seems I saw some of these somewhere and they were just simple round rubber grommets ??? I can find no round tuned exhaust diagrams to see if the grommets are different ones for this exhaust tube.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The round tube is very common.------The round tube does NOT use a seal of any kind.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
#37 in the Evinrude diagram has 2 different part #s. One for the 9.9 and one for the 15 hp both are shown as square. The 15 hp one is shown as being shorter that is the round one. I also personally own a 1985 15 hp and I can assure you the tuner is round.

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry to bring this up but am confused. I have a round tube exhaust going on a 1987 9.9. So I should order the grommets for an 85 15HP?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The grommets for the copper tubes in the exhaust tuner. Order the grommets for the year of the tube you have.

thatone123

Banned
FS is right. I had this same problem a while back and heeded the advice and it was correct. IT is very confusing and those parts companies with the high shipping lol need to change the schematics on this. My opinion.

thatone123

Banned
Oh, I see it was the same thread ….. oh well ! It worked for me and can't wait to try the 15 with new grommets this spring.

thatone123

Banned
I think the 85's with the tuned exhaust were why some were labeled 7000 rpm operating range on the metal sticker on the outboard. I refined my tuned exhaust by filing the horn shaped end with file. and sanding disk to take off the rough edge...Maybe I'll get some better performance or if not it can't hurt. Did the other end where it comes out of the engine also., but just a slight amount. I believe some used to call this ported and polished, but not exactly sure about that.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Ok in 1985 all the OMC 15 hp motors had the round tuner. 84/85 were the first yrs of the round tuner. In 1988 all the 13 cid 9.9/15 hp blocks had the rd tuner. A little later the rd tuner was made shorter. You need the grommet for the tube you have. The 7000 rpm means nothing those motors made peak power at 6250 rpm according to my owners manual.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry------All the 15 HP model were rated at the HIGHER RPM and had the higher maximum safe rated RPM.------This has been discussed many times

FarmerSid

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies! Appreciated. I have a 1987 Evinrude 9.9. Have to replace the upper motor mounts. While power head is off, gonna install a round tuned exhaust tube. Not sure what year it came off of. The one on the motor now is the square type. Just want to make sure I order the right grommets for the round exhaust tube. The grommets for the water tubes part numbers are the same for my 87 9.9 and the 85 15. Joeseif on youtube showed that he likes to trim the grommets. Just want to clear any confusion I have.

Cheers!

thatone123

Banned
I still don't get why the 7000 rpm tag means? It's not on all of the 15's for 85 and any other years either?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The 7000 rpm recomendation is in the 1985 owners manual. There is nothing special about my 1985 evinrude that has the 7000 rpm recomendation. It is just a plain jane fishing motor.

thatone123

Banned
What do you mean by 7000 rpm recommendation? That with the tuned exhaust and other tricks like carb jets it will go to 7000 rpm. I know this motor is used by limited class hydroplane racers. It's not a fluke that the plate says that. Maybe it was to try to beat (at least phychologically) in some way the Jap motors coming to market and taking market share at the time? No one seems to know.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
This has all been explained to you already. You have had posts on that subject before go and re-read them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
123----What do you not understand ?----------The 15 hp fishing version is rated as 15 hp at 6250 rpm.-----Approved full throttle is 5500-7000 rpm.-----This is from the 88 factory brochure,-----The 15A racing model for 1988 with the racing lower unit does NOT give an actual HP rating nor any RPM rating or limits.----And yes you have questioned this time and time again !!------Do you know what a F1 race car engine peaks out at for RPM ??-------The Evinrude Formula 1 racing outboard V-8 is not HP rated but full throttle RPM is listed at 9000 rpm.