1996 Evinrude 9.9hp 2stoke issue

Eyedude

Cadet
I use this as a kicker motor on my boat. I was trolling one day and the motor started chugging and running rough and eventually died after about 30min of fishing. I tried restarting with no luck. I have checked the spark plugs and wires, gas, and oil everything is OK. Still won't start. Any ideas?

Eyedude

Cadet
I haven't checked. I checked it when I first got it and the numbers seemed low to me around 90 but I can't remember for sure. I borrowed the tester. It's a 2 stroke, water pump is new and working fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
90 PSI is fine on the newer design block.----Checked for water in the carburetor ?--------Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on both leads ?----Checked the flywheel key?

Eyedude

Cadet
You're getting into stuff beyond my pay grade. I have not checked for water in carb. Are you asking gap size? .03 Does flywheel key have anything to do with how it just quit? No I did not check it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The question asks whether your ignition system is capable of jumping a gap of 3/8".-----This has nothing to do with the sparkplugs at all.----Flywheel key controls the timing.----Have you checked the water pump ?----All we can do is suggest things for you to check based on the information you posted.-----I can not see or hear your motor.

Eyedude

Cadet
And I really appreciate all your responses.Just limited experience, as you can tell. The water pump was not working when the motor was given to me. I replaced it and is working with a strong stream. Doesn't the other questions you're asking need to be tested when the motor is running? I can't get it started.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
And I really appreciate all your responses.Just limited experience, as you can tell. The water pump was not working when the motor was given to me. I replaced it and is working with a strong stream. Doesn't the other questions you're asking need to be tested when the motor is running? I can't get it started.

Check that you can get two good strong sparks. They should jump a 3/8'' air gap. Best way of checking is with a spark tester.

Check fuel supply to carb.

thatone123

Banned
Those plastic topped Mexican carbs are touchy and get dirty easy. I just cleaned one for the second time and it has problems like yours. Soak the carb in solvent like Berrymans for at least 24 hours and then hydro sonic clean with hot water and pinesol n then spray all small passages with carb cleaner then blow out with compressed air, or have a carb expert do this service...now runs better than new.

Eyedude

Cadet
Is there a multimeter test I can do on the power pack? Can't seem to get a reading and can't find anything on you tube.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
xLIS50850_1200Wx1200H.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DpYWD8n9Ep.jpg
Get one of these at an auto parts store (pretty cheap). Remove both plugs, and make sure the clamp gives you a solid ground. Set it for 3/8 inch (testing ignition strength, as indicated above).

Eyedude

Cadet
I bought the same thing, I can't get a spark. I tested the coil and it's ok, I thought the next logical thing would be to test power pack but I cant get are reading. Thought you guys might have the answer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Not sure how you tested the coil, but can find CDI testing instructions here, maybe requiring additional equipment: http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...20-%202012.pdf Check other systems first -- cut off switch is often a problem, usually two wires from the switch, one running to the power pack and a second to a ground -- maybe where coils are installed. Disconnect the wire at the amphenol connector (single connector) and see if spark is restored.

It might be worth your while to simply replace the CD unit -- at worst will have an extra. But not for me to say.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just replace the powerpack.-------Or test the sensor coil and charge coil.----They are under the flywheel and can be tested without removing the flywheel.