Messed up lower unit 1977 70hp Evinrude

dragula

Seaman Apprentice
Just turned over an old ‘77 70 hp evinrude for the first time since I’ve owned the boat. Heard a metal on metal sound coming from the lower unit and a powerful stream of air/water mix explodes out of my prop periodically.

Have half a mind to take the lower unit apart and inspect it but wanted to get yalls opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Have you done any new-to-you checks on the motor? Changed the lower unit oil? Spark? Compression? Fuel hoses? Carbs clean? Could be a lean sneeze throwing water and exhaust out the prop. Could be prop rubbing on the housing for the noise. Some basic checks are in order...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agree with above.--Was it the dry impeller squeak that you heard ?----Do not jump to conclusions.----If oil is clean with no water or metal chips then likely the lower unit is OK.----If lower unit passes a pressure test all is likely good too.-------But on a 40 year old motor a good inspection and new seals is a good idea.

dragula

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve changed the oil and it was fine no discoloration or flakes of metal in the oil. Never done a compression test on lower unit...wasn’t aware compression tests could be ran on lower unit, honestly thought it was only done on the cylinders.

About the dry impeller squeak...do you mean the impeller to my water pump? The metal on metal sound was more of clank...hasn’t happened again since that one time.

So chinewalker...do you think my engine thinks it’s low on fluid so it’s running lean?

dragula

Seaman Apprentice
Previous owner claimed a compression of 90-90-95 on a cold test for my three cylinders. Gonna research on pressure test for lower unit...

jbcurt00

Staff member
dragula please refrain from posting in old inactive topics. After 90days w no new posts by whoever started a topic, consider it closed.