95 Johnson 40 won’t start

finneus

Recruit
1995 Johnson 40 electric start tiller won’t start. Cranked fine, fires with start fluid or carb cleaner but won’t atay running. Filter has gas in it, primer is done ng it’s job, fresh gas. First time fired since about a year ago. Winterized before storage (stabil storage in gas, fogged motor (unplugged gas line and ran gas out/fogged through intake), sprayed fog oil on cylinders. This happens every spring (1st use), I always end up tearing the carbs off/down and cleaning w carb cleaner and most time that works just gettingtired of doing that wondering if fogging is sticking/clogging anything. Help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should not have to clean carburetor each spring.-----Are you holding the key in while cranking it over ?----How did you confirm that primer is working ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Since you've sprayed all the garp into the engine, it is not surprising it won't start in the spring. Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if they are fouled? Don't run the carbs dry of fuel. An empty carb also has oil residue on the inside that can thicken and gunk things up. Run some Sea Foam in the fuel at seasons end, run the engine long enough to get it into the fuel system and put the engine to bed. If the engine is only laid up for six months, you don't need to fog it.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I think more likely you winterized it by running it out of gas? If so the VRO filled the carbs with oil. Turn red lever 90 degrees, start it, and keep it running with the throttle advance. It will take several minutes and smoke like heck. Eventually turn red lever back to parallel and go boating.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might try a new wintering technique — fogging oil directly into cylinders. Turn the flywheel by hand a couple of times. Drain the carbs by removing the float bowl plugs. Drain and replace the l.u. oil; wrap the l.u. with a garbage or leaf bag to keep out critters.

Can add to the list if desired: R&R plugs, spray linkages, etc.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Pull the drain plugs out of the carb float bowls, pump the primer bulb to get fresh fuel out of the carbs, put plugs back, fill bowls and try and start.

finneus

Recruit
So I pulled the carbs off with the intent of just draining and cleaning the bowls, the gas in the carburetors seems pretty happy with oil. I guess the dumped out was pretty blue, not sure if that’s normal but it seemed pretty happy. I really have no reason to suspect a bad VRO Since it started and ran fine with no issues last season.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The VRO is not bad...it just fills the carbs with oil when you unplugged the fuel line. As the motor runs it pumps oil, if there is little fuel it still pumps same amount of oil.