1968 Johnson 20 hp Sea Horse

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
racerone;n106719---Tassie1----Have you priced the electronic ignition parts for say a 98 Johnson 9.9 model 4 stroke and compared that to the universal magneto parts ?[/QUOTE said:
no l have not priced those parts, in either 2 stroke or 4 stroke lol
l assume they are pricey,
but once fitted they last for years without any attention needed untill expiring
unlike points,
and thats if you can find magneto parts that aren't NLA,
I've owned other motors with points etc ( ok, they were chryslers lol ) too much mucking about for me

l still have a '81 johnson ( not points but still dead ) in the shed that in its hard life only had a starter solenoid fail,

piston gave up the ghost in 2014, never worried about repowering untill earlier this year as we had other boats,
35 odd years ain't too bad l thought,

anywho, looking at a Uk British Seagull fb site earlier today and saw a post about a " perfect condition excellent running Seagull motor"

" HASN'T BEEN ON A BOAT IN NEARLY 20 YRS "

Says it all really.
lol

lindy46

Captain
Fact----The older motors equipped with the universal magneto can run on one cylinder.-----That magneto had 2 totally separate systems and I suppose many folks have limped home at half power.----That magneto was used for near 40 years and is reliable to say the least.----But yes it needs inspection / maintenance on occasion.----Not something that modern folks know about or want to do.----Tassie1----Have you priced the electronic ignition parts for say a 98 Johnson 9.9 model 4 stroke and compared that to the universal magneto parts ?

I have a low hours 1958 Evinrude Lightwin on a Gheenoe-type boat. I replaced the coils (original cracked) when I got the motor a year and a half ago. The points looked pretty good (probably original), so I filed and cleaned them and that was it. Motor ran fine for over a year with lots of use, and then started missing once in a while in August. It NEVER quit running and always started easily. I figured I'd better throw in a new set of points and condensers, which I did. Now it runs like a swiss watch again and usually starts on the first pull. With an occasional cleaning/setting of the points, she's good to go for another 50+ years!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I picked up a 2008 model 115 HP motor recently.-------The latest / greatest new technology , but deemed not worth rebuilding.-----Got a freebie 1966 model 9.5 motor recently and after inspection of the basics I think it could be a good reliable runner again.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
So l read the factory instructions on replacing points, goes something like this

wrap this here bit of bare wire around this screw ( smallest size known to man ) then spend the next three hours trying to get said stupid screw back into it's home...plus the 2 washers with just one tiny piece of thread showing.

no doubt about it, cutting edge technology there,

anyway the cat left home and the dogs packing his bag,

apparently can't live with such foul language anymore

thatone123

Banned
Mary early CDI systems failed and were not reliable, and some are still not to be counted on. OMC 9.9/15's were known for this. In remote northern environs many of us carry a spare CDI. Not so magneto systems.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Mary early CDI systems failed and were not reliable, and some are still not to be counted on. OMC 9.9/15's were known for this. In remote northern environs many of us carry a spare CDI. Not so magneto systems.
When did the 9.9/15 motors have bad CDI systems. They used the same system for almost 30 yrs. And arent you the one who said the 9.9/15 motors are legendary. I think you make stuff up as you go. Since the BS has gotten to deep I am shoveling my way out.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I have a low hours 1958 Evinrude Lightwin on a Gheenoe-type boat.

With an occasional cleaning/setting of the points, she's good to go for another 50+ years!

good find,

those motors look good,
specially as a letterbox!

I wonder why it had low hours, specially as parts could probably be found on the corner stores shelves back then,

the second part of your rather bold call is just pure conjecture...it could also easily fail in another 50 minutes lol

l hope not for your sake but...it's nearly as old as me!