1968 Evinrude 40hp electric shift WON’T TURN OVER

Howdy folks,
i obtained a 1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift motor and boat from someone that owed me some cash.
It started when I checked it out and it ran great in the water. Now I can’t get it to turn over. Battery is good. I pulled apart the controller and cleaned it thoroughly.
Still not turning over.
What should I be looking for? Any ideas where to start looking?
I know this motor is not the most desirable old beast, but it ran so well....
I would REALLY APPRECIATE any input on this project!!!
Thanks!!!
Old Man Grizz

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
no starter action at all? If it started well before, chances are the starter should have a little more life in it. Check and clean all wire connections with sandpaper until shiny, starting with the main battery cables. If there is some crunching when you bend the cables, they are rotted on the inside -- need to be replaced. Make sure the remote lever is in the neutral indent for starting, and rock it back and forth a little while turning the key.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a safety switch on the MOTOR that prevents cranking when throttle is advanced too far.-----Has a white wire going to it and I believe it is under the magneto plate.--It may need adjustment---I happen to think that the 1968 40 electric shift is a GREAT motor easy to maintain and very reliable.----Do not let the electric shift scare you.

Does anyone know if the manual for sale on this site has all the pertinent information about the electric shift and how it works?
This motor is in pristine condition, and I’m hoping to put it on my 1959 Starcraft that I just restored....

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
Adjusted the neutral safety deal, (it is a white wire), and engine fires RIGHT UP Perfectly!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old Man Grizz

Dan1982

Cadet
Congrats on getting your's up and running. I just did the same with my 68 Electric shift but I blew out the prop. Anyone know what size they take? I found a 10.5 X 12 but not sure if it's too big.