1995 Johnson 50 hp no spark

GP3998

Cadet
Have replaced all ignition parts, trigger, stator, powerpack, coil and plugs. Disabled kill circuit and temp switch still no spark. Any help would be appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have battery load tested.----Inspect starter.----Inspect battery cables.-----Why all the new expensive parts ?

GP3998

Cadet
Battery, cables and starter are all good. Cranking over very well. New parts because of no spark diagnostics as per my dvom which found out after the fact had a faulty cable. It all started with lost spark on one cylinder replaced coil and ran fine. Next time it was started it ran for about 10 minutes and died like you shut the key off. Thank you for your time. Alao the boat is new to me.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Go to cdielectronics.com and use their free trouble shooting guide

GP3998

Cadet
Have done that several times, everything passes. I got to be missing something.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Do you have voltage coming from the stator and sensors, and what did you use to determine that?

w2much

Lieutenant
Check your wires especially ground, for continuity. Follow jakedaawg , he's good.
Answer questions you r asked.

GP3998

Cadet
I will go check it again now and get back with you. I use a Matco Tools dvom with a dva. Thank you very much.

GP3998

Cadet
Charge coil output at brown/yellow and brown is 179v, both test to ground ate small mv

GP3998

Cadet
Sorry typo. Are small mv (millivolt) readings. .oo2mv to be exact or pretty much nothing. Thank you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Are you using a separate DVA adapter with meter??? There is no digital meter on market with a built in DVA that I know of and your readings could be flawed without adapter.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sensor coils are on the timer base.-----Different from ignition charge coils found in the stator.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
No, the triggers or sensor coils. From under the flywheel come two sets of wires. One of which is the stator leads with the charge and lighting coil. The other is the sensor coils. You should be familiar with these sets if you did all the tests at cdielectronics.com. Revisit the troubleshooting guide at cdi and post the results you find for charge coil output and sensor coil output as per their instructions.

The charge coil supplies the gross voltage to the power pack and then the sensor coils tell the powerpack when to send that voltage to each of the ignition coils. (I am speaking very generally here, it's good enough to get the point across although not technically accurate enough for some sticklers.)

I still have 60 or so boats to wrap and winterize so I dont have a lot of time right now. I will bring the manual up to the house this evening if I remember so I can answer more in depth....

GP3998

Cadet
Sorry for the delay. The cdi diag refers to it as timer base I apologize for the confusion. I will check it agian this evening when I get home and post my findings. Once again thank you for your time.

GP3998

Cadet
Sensor coil test; terminal A to ground 0 volts, same for B&C to grond.sensor coil output is .46 volts. Sensor coil resistance 24.3 and 24.1, sensor coil short to ground test all three are open

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I did not bring the manual up from the shop. Those numbers dont sound right. Are you getting over 300rpms while cranking for tests?

You have enough gross voltage to the pack but I dont think your getting enough trigger voltage to tell the pack to send it to the coils...

post the model # also. Just because I am lazy. I'll get back to this tomorrow sometime.