1986 Evinrude 15hp 2 stroke E15RCDE Neutral Throttle Block

Twitches

Seaman Apprentice
This new to me motor has a safety feature that does not allow the motor to be started unless in the neutral position. I don't mind this, however, the same feature seems to inhibit me from turning the throttle while the engine is running in the neutral position. If for whatever reason I wanted to slightly rev the motor in neutral I cannot. Is everything functioning correctly here? The motor does fire up fine and run well but I have never had a motor without the ability to rev in neutral so I thought it odd.

Attachments

• photo302726.jpg
    photo302726.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
There is enough movement in the throttle to allow a high idle for starting.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I think Hardwater is asking what issue you are trying to address. High revving in neutral risks a runaway motor or worse.

Sustained revving in gear on muffs would not be a good idea. If you have changed out the impeller on your new motor, it sounds like you are ready for a boat test.

kbait

Commander
If your carb linkage is out of adjustment, throttle plate won’t open at the neutral stop.. it’s supposed to open slightly to get a medium idle in neutral when throttle is advanced to the stop. Look up ‘link/sync’ for your motor... adjustment screw on throttle cam follower linkage.

Twitches

Seaman Apprentice
If your carb linkage is out of adjustment, throttle plate won’t open at the neutral stop.. it’s supposed to open slightly to get a medium idle in neutral when throttle is advanced to the stop. Look up ‘link/sync’ for your motor... adjustment screw on throttle cam follower linkage.

Perfect response thank you. After adjustment I can the the little bit of oomph I need when starting.

kbait

Commander
Thanks for the follow-up! Glad you got her squared away.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
In the opening post you stated that it started and ran well ....And you want more throttle to slightly rev in neutral... That is why I asked my question.... Glad you got it figured out.......

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke, of course, but just an added point on link and sync adjustment: The throttle plate should begin to open quite a bit before high idle (i.e., the point where you get no more throttle unless you put it in gear -- the throttle stop referenced above). Set the roller to nudge the cam at the scribed line (typically) on the cam. Above that point, the throttle will continue to open to a high idle. Below that point, the motor will idle without the roller contacting the cam. But at that low end (throttle plate closed), you should not stall out.

If the motor is in good condition and well-tuned, you should also expect to go into gear without stalling before you get close to the high idle — usually before the throttle plate even begins to open.

Twitches

Seaman Apprentice
I think I have it where it needs to be. One turn on the roller adjustment screw and now able to achieve slightly high idle only when the throttle is moved to that position. Thanks for the help.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
In post #24 in this link I have a picture of how the cam roller is set on my 84 9.9.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng.../10366239-1986-johnson-9-9-frankenmotor/page2

Even though the linkage is set properly I always felt the idle speed was too low on the first start on a cold morning when using the choke. The motor always seemed to want just a hair more throttle for the first several seconds. It would stall 2 or 3 times before it warmed up just a bit.
I ended up removing that throttle block from the motor and used a belt sander to take about an eighth of an inch off the end of it. This allows the throttle plate to open just a tiny bit more and made all the difference.