Keep running darn it!

1995EV115

Cadet
Thanks so much. I'm suffering from CRS (Can't remember sh**) so I may have removed the needles and cleaned but just can't say for sure. So I'm going to seat them, doing the counting turns method, then pull them one at a time and clean them. I have tried but cannot find the initial setting anywhere, including my manual.
I appreciate your advice. There's only another week to salmon season close......
Oh and my T20 adjustment tool is due to arrive tomorrow.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
On older motors, the initial setting is 1 1/2 turns open. On yours, I think it's more like 3 - 5 turns out to start.

1995EV115

Cadet
I actually bought a CarbTune vac balancer tool, but I don't know where the vacumn ports are. (Are there any). I'm going to have to do it by ear like the old days when I did my '64 Lotus Elan carbs. I'm not good at it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
above my pay grade. Manifold vacuum tubes on the side of the throttle bodies, maybe?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
First stop and read your FACTORY manual!!! In section 2 you will find the information you need. You CANNOT set these carbs on a hose!!! The initial setting is 5-3/4 turns out from light seat then boat must be in water ,in gear, and not on trailer to adjust..You will need a driver to assist...….

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it is the 60 degree looper it does have a " vapor extraction " pump.-----Best to have a close look at the motor.-----And good luck with it.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Try bypassing the vro system,mix some gas and throw your fuel line in a bucket of said gas and start it up see if that helps. With you dying it is smoking excessively and running poorly areter running for a time it makes me think it’s just dumping oil into the system

1995EV115

Cadet
Faztbullet - I went back and found the paragraph on initial setting, it says 3 turns out so that's where I'm starting. It will be a week before I can get the boat to water. My tow vehicle is on a mini-retreat with some ladies from church. The motor seemed smoother, but still stalling. When I get to the water do I adjust a certain carb to start? Or adjust an eighth turn on each as a group?

Racerone - I also found out what and where is the fuel vapor tank. I had fixed a small gasket leak in it that I found at the same time I found leaking O rings on the plastic fuel rails. O rings were replaced. Pricey little buggers.
I did see a float in the vapor tank but had no idea what I was looking at. Does it produce trouble symptoms when going bad?

Thanks for hanging in with me.

89aluma - I want to rebuild the VRO whether it needs it or not. (Cash flow) makes it happen in steps. My Whaler has had lots of improvements this spring & summer, but I just want to get out and fish now. I will be doing wires, power pack, etc. as I can afford it, just to increase dependability . I think it will last quite a bit longer.

Last edited:

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can always rebuild the vro later and bypass it for testing in order to narrow down what’s going on.

1995EV115

Cadet
Yes I agree, I will do that after I try the carb adjust. Any knowledge on adjustment method? One at a time or as a group?
Which to start with? Thanks.

89Aluma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
They should all be synched up and adjusted together generally if your starting around 3 turns out adjust all carbs a quarter turn at a time clockwise for lean counterclockwise for rich. If this issue with the motor started randomly and it was running fine before hand, the carb adjustments are probably fine if you really feel it’s a fuel issue it’s probably a clogged passage way. Or another mechanical issue.