1959 Johnson cooling...

Howdy Folks!
New Member here with a Question.
I replaced the impeller on a “new to me”, 1959 Johnson outboard. Everything appeared to go well, but when I got her fired up in a tank of water, no water appeared from the exhaust and it got hot quickly. I had the water up past the “fin” that goes around the lower unit like the manual I was using explained.
Before I take it back apart, anyone have any ideas about what I did incorrectly?
Thanks for your time,
any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old Man Grizz

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those motors do not have a telltale for pumped water to exit. The round hole at the rear is a spitter, where some water will exit, along with exhaust, after the thermostat has opened. Stick a meat thermo up the hole and see if she reads around 140*F. If so, she is cooling properly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There should be a healthy spray being blown out the exhaust relief hole at the back of the leg, any time it is running, no matter what the thermostat status. If not, make sure it is deep enough in the water. If still no output, go back to see what you did wrong in the pump.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Since you never mentioned what hp the engine is, it does leave some info missing. Some engines had thermostatic control, and there were 2 different types of that in 59, while others didn't

I apologize!!!
it is a 1959 Johnson, 35hp....
I would really like to get her going!!!
Thanks for your time!
Old Man Grizz

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
There's a hose assembly to direct water from the leg out the hole in the shroud. If that is missing or misaligned, water and exhaust will not fully exit out the back.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
People love to take all the thermostat parts out of those motors, then wonder why it won't work. It should pump and over-cool with only the thermostat removed, but if the black plastic thermostat housing and check valve below it are also removed, the pump can suck air (exhaust) instead of water.