1978 Evinrude 55 HP Head bolt torque specs

Cedy300

Recruit
I Got a Washer sucked into my top cylinder I turned it off as soon as I heard it go in so there’s minimal
damage but I had to remove the head to remove the washer from the cylinder. Now I’ve got my new head gasket in the mail so it’s time to put it back together and I can’t find the head bolt torque specs online so I thought I’d come here for some help. I’d also like to know which order the bolts go in

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not a pro here...

According to the manual I have (not a factory manual for that engine), torque for the cylinder head bolts is 18-20 ft lbs (216-240 inch lbs).
Start tightening in the middle, and go around in a circular pattern outward towards the top and bottom.
(middle right, middle left, up one on left, over to right, down 2 so under the first one on right, then over to left etc.... )

Might be overkill, but I do them in a couple steps...
First pass, start in the middle, and go circular outwards to say12-14 ft lbs.
Another pass would be to about 16 lbs..
Final pass to 18-20..

Then I'd go back and re-torque them to 18-20 after running for a little bit..

Also check the head for flatness, and resurface it if you need to before installing.

EDIT: I might suggest getting a Factory Service Manual for your particular engine.
I have the general one I got your head bolt spec from, but I've also picked up the Factory manuals specific to my 2 outboards.
While the "General" manual is handy for some things, there's nothing like the manual from the factory, specific to your model.
Worth every penny!

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Cedy300

Recruit
jbuote Alright thanks a lot. I’m just waiting on my factory service manual from the guy I bought the motor and boat off said he had it laying around somewhere in his garage and would send it to me when he found it