Motor dies in gear

Bearskin9898

Seaman
I have a 1969 55hp evenrude. It was running fine on the hose would switch into gears just fine. I ran seafoam through the gas tank for about 10 minutes then topped the tank off. I put it in the water and think I may have choked it too much. It was hard to start at first and when going into reverse or forward it will almost instantly die. Especially if you give it gas. Could the motor just be flooded? Fouled plus?

Bearskin9898

Seaman
Now I can barely even get it to start. Have to use choke to get it to start then when it does it dies.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Clean carbs,
check float heights,
there will be a how to sticky here somewhere or on you tube,

Bearskin9898

Seaman
Could seafoam have fouled my plugs? The fuel bulb also feels really thin and needs replacing I'm sure. It ran completely fine before any seafoam. Could I have flooded it?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It’s not a matter of flooding it (other than with debris). Solvents either partially dissolve whatever is in a tank or lines, or dislodge it — which is OK if the stuff makes it to the cylinders and manages to burn up, otherwise not so good. I would get rid of what’s left in the tank, and check condition. It sounds like fuel lines need to be replaced, along with that bulb. Then once you disassemble and clean the carbs, you should be back to where you were.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked adjustment on the 3 slow speed needles ?-----Where are they set now ?---About 5/8 turn from gently seated ?