18 HP Carb

Hi all,
I'm getting ready to remove and clean a carb on a 1961 18 HP FDL 15 Johnson that has set un-run for years.
It is equipped with a electric choke.
Are there any pitfalls or words of wisdom I should know before I tear into it that will ensure a positive result?
I do have a Clymer manual on the engine for some reference, but nothing in a book can replace experience.
If what was in the sediment bowl is any indication of what I'll find in the carb, it's going to be nasty gummed up mess!

Thanks.
Papa

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Nothing a carb kit, good solvent, patience, and attention won't solve. If the fuel bowl and carb have gunk in them, the fuel lines, and fuel pump will also be in bad shape. The lines and pump diaphram will need replacing to cope with the Ethanol laced Garbage that is marketed as Gasoline now days.
Starter needs to be removed, to get at the starboard side carb mounting nut
Once the carb is reinstalled, the sync between the carb and spark advance will need checking and possibly adjustment. Initial setting of the High Speed Mixture needle is 3/4 - 1 turn out from lightly seated, and the idle mix is 1 1/2 turns out.
Pull the flywheel and inspect the coils, they are probably cracked. Points are set @ 0.020".

And, as always mentioned, a new pump impeller

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tear it in pieces, soak metal parts on real dip cleaner for some hours, for your peace of mind take pictures during the disassembling process, that way will assemble it right back as was before.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the responses.
The second issue I'm having is finding a fuel pump rebuild kit.
Does anyone have a part number for it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Assuming it still has the original fuel pump, there is no such thing as a repair kit for it. You have to replace the whole pump.