Tilting the motor for trailering

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
As boating is new to me, I’ve been spending a lot of time watching videos on YouTube. 99% of the time the videos are useful, however I can’t find a video that points out what I should be doing to tilt the motor up.

Im hoping one you experts can tell me what I need to do? Do I need to unscrew a bolt? Is there a clip to release? I attached pics for reference.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo295756.jpg
    photo295756.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295757.jpg
    photo295757.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295758.jpg
    photo295758.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295761.jpg
    photo295761.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

interalian

Commander
The last photo shows a tilt lever in the upper right corner of the picture. Flip it the other way, then manually raise the motor. It may help if you post the motor's model number.

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks.
I added a fourth picture that has another lever at the top.

Ive tried messing with both the top lever (4th pic) and bottom lever (3rd pic) and nothing happen. Will try again and report back.

Motor is a E35KLECA - 98 3 cyl.

interalian

Commander
If by bottom lever you mean below the motor bracket, that's a shallow water bracket used to hold the motor in a high trim position for use in shallow water (go figure). It gets flipped up when the motor is lifted when the tilt lever is flipped. The tilt lever I mentioned in picture 3 is what you're describing as the top lever.

With the top lever in one position, a latch will keep the motor from tilting up. Useful for high thrust in reverse. In the other position you can tilt the motor and it will latch at the top.

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
So I moved the top lever from the the up position in the pic to the down position and the motor didn’t tilt. Is the latch you are referring to the same as circled in the attached pic?

the motor also didn’t tilt with th lever in the up position.

Attachments

• photo295769.jpg
    photo295769.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The circled item is the tilt pin, used to adjust the trim angle of the engine. If the engine can not be tilted up when the rotating lever is up, it is possible the latching mechanism(looks like a couple of fangs that curl over the tilt pin) is corroded and not rising above the tilt pin.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your 4th picture clearly show the release lever in the up position, and the motor should tilt. If it won't or is super difficult, something else is stopping it --- like corrosion or over tightened. Try loosening the nut on the hollow tilt tube.

Dustballs

Seaman Apprentice
Your 4th picture clearly show the release lever in the up position, and the motor should tilt. If it won't or is super difficult, something else is stopping it --- like corrosion or over tightened. Try loosening the nut on the hollow tilt tube.

Thanks it worked. I put it in the down position and tried to move it with no luck. I was able to tilt in the up position.

So I got it tilted in the up position and moved the lever to the down position thinking that would hold it but it didn’t hold it in position. So the question is, after tilting the motor with the lever in the up position, what’s the next step to keep the motor tilted?

thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It should latch in the tilt position automatically, But you have to have it all the way up to maximum tilt. To get it back down, put the lever in the down position, and give the motor a tug (up). That will release it and down it goes.

Simple.

interalian

Commander
I would suggest all the pivoting parts need to be greased as part of maintenance. You may be fighting frozen pivots and latches. Use a good waterproof grease.