1983 Evinrude 15 HP sputters but will not start

CPTMidnight

Recruit
2nd owner and has worked perfect for many years for us and worked well for 30 years for the previous owner. Had sat for last year or so and we took it out this spring for the first time. You could tell it was not running perfectly and died after 5 minutes at full power. Seemed hot but was still peeing water. rowed back to shore...

Now it just sputters for a few seconds and then dies when I try to start it - no matter how much pulling on the cord.

Trying to figure out
Compression is 95 upper, 88 lower. (I know it is getting low but this should run at this level)
Spark seems fine - using lisle spark checker at 3/8ths inch it was sparking and in some cases the engine was sputtering while I was testing spark.
Spark plugs replaced with new plugs
Spraying a little gas mix in the carb has no effect
Spraying a little ether in the carb has no effect

I dont believe it is related to carb, fuel, fuel pump, fuel tank, or compression.

I am thinking it is related to strength of spark or timing of spark. Any thoughts? What is the best way to troubleshoot this? I am at an end...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Look at the black plastic throttle linkage off of the carb. If the roller is worn or the.linkage itself broke you may not have enough throttle to.start it.

CPTMidnight

Recruit
Look at the black plastic throttle linkage off of the carb. If the roller is worn or the.linkage itself broke you may not have enough throttle to.start it.

Thanks! I do know which roller and linkage you are referring to. I checked and the roller does need to be replaced but the roller does not get used until the motor is shifted into gear - otherwise it is prohibited from coming into contact with the linkage. I dont think this is it as it makes no difference even if I spray fuel or ether into the carb...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If the.roller needs to be replaced it will absolutely affect starting. The carb will move the slightest bit when the throttle is applied in neutral. Without a good roller your link and sync is off pretty common thing that happens on those motors.

CPTMidnight

Recruit
The roller was not even close to link and sync. I am wondering if the entire timing somehow was off or slipped. I have pulled the flywheel to get a better look. I may just rebuild the carb as long as I am in here working on the linkage and the try to factory reset the link and sync and carb settings. Hey - thanks for your kind advice here on a Saturday!