1960 QD-21 10hp to hot to run

maverickfromMN

Recruit
I ran this motor until winter came last year. It started on 5th pull last week, pumps water out the exhaust, possibly not enough. Within a minute or 2 its too hot to keep running. I replaced the thermostat ,pulled lower unit . Checked impeller.Ran a wire and some air through everything I could get to. What I see that I believe is not right is I have a lot of water coming out of the 2 holes on the exhaust housing just above the lower rubber mount. I believe I have a blockage somewhere, any thoughts would be great .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
My 63 10 hp has water coming out of those 2 ports and runs / trolls all day long with no issues.-----Is water in your test bucket 6" above the pump , yes or no ?

lindy46

Captain
The reason water comes out the holes at the top: You're missing the spacer, part #305304 which sits on top of the water pump housing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well yes and no. A missing spacer would make it come out. However, it is supposed to come out there. Those holes drain the drive shaft isolation tube. If it didn't drain, you would be in deep doo.

EDIT: I just re-read the comment. If it is coming out the top (vent) hole, yes think spacer. But it is supposed to come out the two drain holes near the lower mount.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A seven year old grandson helped with installing a new impeller in my / his 1963 model 10 hp motor.------That spacer is in there and water pours out of those 2 holes !!!!

lindy46

Captain
Yeah, I'm talking about the top holes. My '62 had water coming out and I found the spacer missing. When I installed the spacer, water no longer came out the top holes.

maverickfromMN

Recruit
305304 spacer is in there. I also tried different O rings from a different 10hp I have for parts. This motor ran fine when I put it away, I didn't change anything. I also have put the boat in the lake twice, so the pump/impeller should of had plenty of water. I guess I don't remember the water coming out of those holes, it doses shoot out of there by about a good half inch. Thanks everybody ,Ill keep at it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think "too hot to run" is the first concern -- not sunk deep enough, or a blockage perhaps.