How do I remove 56 Johnson Javelin carb??

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm actually taking a vacation, leaving tomorrow for 8 days (first one in about 6 years so I'm more than ready!) I'm going to get back to the motor when I return, though. I did a little asking around and it seems my father-in-law has a friend in a nearby town that has the same motor, but a 35 hp, and said he could come over and go to the lake with me to get it dialed in. His name is Snooky...ya gotta trust that a 75 year old guy named Snooky knows old outboards lol. I've talked to him on the phone and gone over everything, read him several of your posts.
Jimmbo I am having a hard time understanding what you're telling me to do with replacing the missing idle screw (not sure where it's supposed to touch/engage once I put the bolt/nut through the hole) even though you described it thoroughly. But I read that to Snooky and he understood so I'll ask him when we get together. And boobie, I live in central Illinois, about 30 miles south of the state capital of Springfield.
I'll get back on here after we return the 22nd and I get caught up then contact Snooky for a lake run. Thanks again everyone!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Kathy. I'll keep an eye on you as I've got over 50 years experience working on these outboards. I live in Bonita Springs FL. Originally from Northern WI.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kathy. I'll keep an eye on you as I've got over 50 years experience working on these outboards. I live in Bonita Springs FL. Originally from Northern WI.

Wow you're way down in South Florida, I'm sure you miss the balmy WI winters ;) . I lived in the Clearwater area for several years. My inlaws live in the Cedar Key area now. Thanks for keeping an eye on me. I know I'm thisclose to getting the motor back to running great. I don't want someone to do it for me, I love to learn new stuff. It can be frustrating for sure but it's a puzzle I have to solve. I have had SO many of you guys telling me what a champ that motor is that I just can't give up on it.

lindy46

Captain
You're not taking the boat on vacation?? What kind of vacation can one have without a boat, lake, fishing and swimming!!:joyous:
You must be fairly close to Lake Carlisle - we were there last summer for my wife's family reunion - nice area, though a little flat for this mountain dweller.

KathyD19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm sorry to leave you all wondering what happened with my "problem child" motor, especially when you have all been so wonderful to me through this. My life has had some hard turns recently and that's made the boat project the least of my concerns. My 31 year old nephew died suddenly from a heart arrhythmia and just yesterday my mom was given a few months to live. It's been an awful month. My mom is the main reason I wanted to get this old boat going as it was a part of our family history (dad bought it the day my mom went into labor with me in 1965) and I am EVER SO GRATEFUL to this forum for making it possible for me to get the boat going again so I could take my mom back out on it one more time. I have put the boat in storage for the winter at this point. I will get her out again in the Spring and finish what's needed to get it running again but for now, my heart is broken. Thank you all so very much for all of the assistance along this path.

lindy46

Captain
Sorry you're going through all this. Life is not easy at times, but God always seems to help us through the difficult times. I'll keep you in my prayers.