5.5 evinrude fisherman starting after 20 years in storage

Dougwec

Recruit
working on restoring 5.5 hp outboard and could use some guidance. I changed all fuel lines, New plugs and rebuilt carburetor. Fuel bowl and filter also cleaned Mixed gas oil 24:1 and after a few tugs engine ran fir about 30 seconds. Have not been able to restart. Also I have not changed or adjusted ignition as spark looked good. I have purchased new ignition parts so that would be next.

Am am I going about this correctly? Many thanks
Doug

tpenfield

Staff member
Fuel pump may not be working

what year is the engine?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
'50s and '60s motors typically have a plate on the flywheel covering an inspection hole. If you remove the starter assembly (three screws) you can remove the plate and check the condition of the coils. They are likely cracked and need replacement (even if you got spark from them). With a motor that sat 20 years, I would just replace coils points and condensers, along with plug wires. But ask for help if you haven't done it before.

doug w

Cadet
The model is a 5520 year 1960 with single gas line. Will check and replace ignition parts next

Is there an easy check for fuel pump?

Thanks

Doug

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
fuel pump test…mouth blown air flows in the fuel inlet out the fuel outlet NO air flows backwards from fuel out to fuel inlet

if motor runs by itself the pump works if you need to hand pump the bulb the engine pump is not working