Engine runs only when operating the primer/choke.

Vandkanten

Seaman
I have an E35 from '99. I just got it started but I have to operate the primer/choke in and out to keep it running.
When the engine almost dies I quickly pull and push the primer/choke and the engine runs perfect for about 3 seconds.
Then again I have to pull/push the primer/choker and so on.

I have pushed the fuel bulb hard.
I have vent'ed my fuel tank and have it raised above the engine.
I dont do premix (yet), the engine has automatic oil mixing.

I have checked the new plugs, and they look very good. Not wet, no oil, just clean.

I have an old engine E25, the primer/choke spray fuel into the carb.
But with the new used E35 the primer/choke just open/close the butterflies in the carbs.

Where do I take it from here?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That automatic mixing unit should be thrown away as far as you can.---Post the compression numbers now.-----Are the slow speed mixture needles set a number of turns out or a measured distance ?----Having to use choke / primer points to fuel delivery issues.

Vandkanten

Seaman
I will remove the mixing unit, soon!
Compression is between 122 and 135, all 3 measured 2 month ago.

I just spent the last 3 hours in the sun cleaning and rebuilding the 3 carbs.
When the engine runs the manual fuel pump keeps hard all the time. Even after 5 min. I guess that is good.
When I had the carbs off, I tried pushing the manual fuel pump and I easily got the 3 fuel lines to spray long.

After running the engine for 3-5 minutes push/pulling the primer engine shuts off suddenly. Then I have to wait 2 minutes before I can start it again. I have checked the plugs, they look good and I have fuel i the carb bowls.
Engine temperature after 5 minutres is 65 celcius / 150 fahrenheit.

I am used to handle one needle but I see two needles on the carbs.
One in the front and one on the right side. See pictures.
I have not adjusted any of the needles. Yet.

Attachments

• photo295230.jpg
    photo295230.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295231.jpg
    photo295231.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact----I own a number of these motors for parts / rebuild.----The " adjustment " on the front may not be an adjustment at all.----Look into the proper adjustment distance for the slow speed mixture needle on the side of the carburetors .----I am 3500 kilometers away from manuals at this time.

Vandkanten

Seaman
We got heavy rain this night and I left the engine with cover on but unlocked.
I got water in the buttoncover, not much and I wiped it.

Now something strange is happening here cause I dont get any spark anymore. What the....! I tested my spark tester and it was also broke... both broke over night. I have tried disconnecting the kill wire with no luck.

Anyway I took the engine inside to let en dry out for somedays, it doesnt look wet but to be sure.

Meanwhile I removed the oil mixing unit. 1 screw off, 1 cable off. two fuel lines off.
Replaced fuel filter and fuel lines on fuel filter. A lot easier than I thought.

I also found my service manual and the adjustment distance should be 0.390 in (9.9mm). I will adjust the carbs when I hopefully get spark again.

Vandkanten

Seaman
Seems like I could have a wet condition, cause I have sparks again. My hands are shaking, somehow I got electrified :mad-new:

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would of said a carb issue but I don't know this one seems all over the place!