1997 Johnson 200 hp Ocean Runner

rtv.zone

Recruit
I let my son talk me into purchasing a 1997 BayQuest with 200 hp Johnson J200TXEUA. The refit and clean up have gone extremely well. Removed all old gas and flushed system with non ethanol, replaced fuel water sep, water pump and lower unit oil. Compression on all cylinders within 5 psi. Test run was great. 45 minutes of open water at varying throttles up to 5300 rpm no problems. On the run back at approx 4500 rpm we got a continuous alarm with check engine light. Shut the engine down and did a brief check and saw no visible problems. Started back at 3500 rpm and ran fine no alarms. Brought engine back over 4000 rpm and got the same alarm. Upon a more thorough inspection at home it appeared that the hose to vacuum switch? was off or extremely loose as there was fuel pooled below hose and when I pulled the hose away it was not connected to the fitting. What is the possibility of this causing the alarm which research shows could be a fuel pressure problem? What else could cause the continuous check engine alarm on this motor? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check Engine is fuel restriction. Your motor should have a vacuum sensor on the fuel line, signalling the alarm.

Make sure the fuel tank is vented and the vent is clear. Fuel lines should be 3/8"ID.

Did you clean the main strainer under the air box?