Trouble restarting Evinrude after running

recka81

Seaman Apprentice
My 1973 65hp Evinrude Triumph starts and runs perfectly when first out. However, once warm, it has a lot of trouble restarting. Specifically, if when I restart the motor, if I don’t immediately give it some throttle, it will sputter out, die, and have a lot of trouble restarting. Just turns over and won’t catch. If I give it good throttle right away, it usually gets “over the hump” so to speak and runs normally. It’s tough to always give throttle though due to no wake zones, etc., so I need to figure out the problem.

I replaced the power pack and stator last year and have noticed no difference in the issue. Any advice is appreciated! I can’t tell if this is electrical, carb, or what.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
I always lift the fast idle lever a bit for re-starts. Most times if I just hit the key it will catch then stall. High idle in neutral won't violate no-wake rules. If it stalls when you put it in gear, the idle is too low. Before raising it though, do a cylinder drop test to be sure it's running on all cylinders. Compression test results?

recka81

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks... yes you’re right about fast idle. It usually works but sometimes not. And if it does die, I’m screwed for about 10 min while it won’t start (and I drift). Compression was great when tested last yeah but I can’t recall actual numbers. All cylinders running.

interalian

Commander
When you restart with raised idle and it fails, what's your next method to try? It may want choke too.

recka81

Seaman Apprentice
When you restart with raised idle and it fails, what's your next method to try? It may want choke too.

I choke and raise idle when attempting to restart. When it dies, I do the same thing.... sometimes for a couple of solid minutes. When it eventually catches, it sputters back to life and is then normal. If it doesn’t turn back on after a few minutes, I wait a bit and try again.