1972 Johnson outboard hyrdo electric shift won't plane out/speed up

Q1: Would the carb rag smother test indicate a clogged jet when air intake is blocked on a triple?
Q2: I did notice that his skeg was bent to one side about 1-1/2, could that cause prop-wash?
Q3: Would a worn shift dog coupler in lower unit maybe slipping?

I'm working on my dads 72 Johnson outboard triple after he hit a log in the water. In general everything "works" hydro electric Fwd/Rev/Neutral etc.Boat will "troll" all day long, just no high speed plane out, seems boggy and slightly more rough/shakey then I remember.

What I've done: I replaced with exact same OMC solid prop and output shaft seems true. Trim is in normal mid-position. Engine starts and idles fine. Warm up lever opens butterflies about 1/8", WOT all the way open, so seem ok. Choke is not on and lever works. Needles adjusted to 1-1/2 turns out. Used SeaFoam spray and soaked carbs, SeaFoam engine treatment in tank. Fresh non-ethanol fuel mixed 40:1. All 3 plugs have nice spark, changed plugs anyways.

I believe that the fuel tank on these Johnson's have to be vented or will die out when cruising so vent cap screw is open after initial bulb prime and engine start. In his driveway with water muff if I choke either the top or middle carbs with a rag the engine will eventually die out but not on the bottom one. When i block the bottom carb. there is no difference in idle, it's like that cylinder isn't doing any work. I have a compression tester but didn't bring it, guess that's the next step maybe.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey there! :welcome:

Not a pro,but you could do a cylinder drop test...

One at a time when running, pull off the plug wire from a cylinder. (Use a tool to prevent shock, don't use your hand)
If RPM doesn't change, then odds are that cylinder isn't firing..
Such as the bottom cylinder that you think may not be firing, then pulling that plug wire will make no difference as well.

Compression test and open air spark gap test is in order.
You said you left the compression tester at home, but can you get access to one and also an adjustable spark tester?
Set gap to 7/16". Should be blue spark with crisp "SNAP!"

I wouldn't do much anything else (besides drop test) until those comp and spark tests are done..

Thank you, bought plug gap zapper and all had nice 7/16 blue zap. Bottom cyl has 0 compression. Took off head and looks like scoring from ring, sorry dad. Now he tells me the rest of the story. Log had nothing to do with the problem, he ran with muffs and went inside to make lunch! Came out and overtemp buzzer was on. =FAIL

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OH GEEZ!!! :facepalm:
Sorry to hear that!!!

Well, at least you now know what's up with it! :D