77 model Evinrude 115 HP outboard motor struggling to turn over

Dub

Recruit
Hey guys, I have a 1977 Johnson Evinrude 115 hp outboard motor that struggles to turn over even with a new starter. I removed all the plugs and it will spend fine but as I replaced the plugs it struggles to turn over. I did a compression test and each cylinder read about 120. Does anybody have any idea what my problem would be. Thanks in advance

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Load test the battery.----Inspect battery cables.-----Perhaps check lower unit for binding.

Last edited:

Dub

Recruit
Thanks for the response. I got it to turn over correctly. Now, I just got to figure why I'm not getting any spark.

interalian

Commander
If it isn't spinning the motor fast enough, you won't get spark. What did you do to get it to turn over quicker?

Dub

Recruit
At first I did not have a controller wired up to crank it with the switch so I was trying to bypass the starting solenoid and and jump started for the battery to the starter. I saw that wasn't getting anywhere so I went ahead and wired up the control box and it's turning over fast now, I'm just not getting a spark. I check to see if I was getting power from the power pack to the coils but there was no spark there either. So I was thinking that my power pack was bad so I replaced it and it still nothing.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I believe there is a 20amp fuse along the harness (motor side) -- might check that just to be sure.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not a pro, but I'd also check to ensure the kill switch lanyard is in place.
Some remotes have the lanyard on the key switch, some have a toggle switch which the lanyard will toggle when pulled.
Sometimes the kill switch is on the dash of the boat.

If the lanyard is pulled, the kill switch will kill the spark, but the starter and everything else will still work.

Just a thought.. :D

Dub

Recruit
Not a pro, but I'd also check to ensure the kill switch lanyard is in place.
Some remotes have the lanyard on the key switch, some have a toggle switch which the lanyard will toggle when pulled.
Sometimes the kill switch is on the dash of the boat.

If the lanyard is pulled, the kill switch will kill the spark, but the starter and everything else will still work.

Just a thought.. :D

My pontoon is an early 80s boat, it doesn't have a kill switch lanyard on the control box.