1979 Johnson 150 (150TL79C)

rich5166

Cadet
Hello all, this is my first post. I recently purchased a 1988 24' Sun Tracker pontoon with a 1979 Johnson 150 motor, I am new to boats and boating. I have taken the boat out on the water once. I realized I needed to do some work as the steering was very tough, the throttle and shift cables were sticking and the tilt/trim wasn't working properly. I replaced the shift, throttle cables, and the helm (steering) kit. I also installed a new trim motor. I could not find the trim control box, it appears a previous owner had bypassed and removed the control box. The trim motor was wired directly into what appears to be a home-brew harness going directly to the battery and trim switch. I also found that the trim sender/sensor cable was cut two inches from the unit. I am trying to find how best to get things back to proper working condition. The tilt did work prior to beginning to work on the boat. I have drained the trim fluid and refilled with new, I can hear the trim motor rev and can get the motor to trim up but not down. In addition none of the gauges are wired up. Looking for advice. Thanks in advance!

rich5166

Cadet
I have ordered a wiring kit that converts the three wire tilt motor to a two wire system, which includes the relays. I am still looking for the correct tilt sender, the only numbers I have found on the part are 511418 on the body and 511580 on the arm. Any assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic of the sender.

Attachments

• photo294237.jpg
    photo294237.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Ive never seen anything like that. But if you can reverse the wires that might make it go down to test that, but thats me throwing caution to the wind