81 evinrude 115 cylinder 1 & 3 cold

JST0771

Cadet
Still trying to get my motor running properly. In trying to determine why it won't idle, it has no power at full throttle, consumes fuel in a massive way, and 2&4 seem normal while 1& 3 are cold with fouled plugs, I've done the following.

1. I've cleaned the carbs, made sure the floats are installed correctly, and nothing obstructing the orifices.
2. New plugs gapped at .030. Spark tested good out to 1/2 inch gap and plugs fire. I've swapped the power packs to each side, trouble stays with 1 & 3.
3. Compression check at the lake with the 2&4 at 146 degrees and 1&3 at 96 degrees was 101 to 98. I have no means to perform a leak down test.

The motor was missing parts when I bought it, I've never heard it run before. I replaced the coils and am using the plug wires that came with the kit. I bought 1 new power pack that was missing. I replaced the wiring harness as the plug from the original was cut off. Installed a new fuel pump. Lastly, I replaced a missing primer solenoid and 90% sure that I connected the recirc lines correctly. I only had to pick with port to plug the existing lines to; original lines in place. It had been laid on its side for an undetermined amount of time when I bought it. I bought it from a reputable marine shop that took it in from a customer upgrading to a 4 stroke. The carbs were not bad at all when I first tore them down and need very little cleaning.

That all being said, I pulled the intake manifold to inspect the leaf plates and reeds. I am attaching pictures. The side for 1 and 3 are dirtier than 2 and 4, but all in good shape. The reeds are fine, not bent, nor broken. I also, managed to remove the thermostats. They are pretty bad. But then again they are the first stats I seen that regulate lake water and not coolant. New ones including pressure relief valves and springs with all the trimmings are arriving Friday.

I am going to be pulling the bypass covers and if I want to look at piston heads and walls, I guess I am going to pull the heads as well. I wouldn't mind at all if someone would suggest what I might want to look for in a tell for problems.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• photo293632.jpg
    photo293632.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo293633.jpg
    photo293633.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure the orange wires from the powerpack are going to the correct coil ?----Or have you tried switching plug wires on 1 and 3.-----Or switched the position of the coils ?

JST0771

Cadet
I did not try, nor think and switch the wires across 1 & 3. For as much as I stared at the wiring diagram when I was replacing the harness, coils and power pack to be sure I made all the correct connections, I'd like to say I am certain they are correct. But, I have also been guilt of looking for my glasses when they are sitting on top of my head or look for the 7/16 socket when it is sitting right in front of me.

I'll be home in an hour and double check the the orange wires. I won't be able to test it again, though until this weekend when all the replacement gaskets get in.

Thank you.

JST0771

Cadet
Dan! I just found my glasses on my head again or insert any other cliche. I'll be damned if I didn't cross the wires in the plug from the power pack. Orange/blue is going to 3 instead of 1.

follow up question. What damage can I have done by running 30 minutes at a time for a couple of hours?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You did a lot of work to find the the wee wires wrong I would say !-----And no there was absolutely no damage done to your motor.----This trouble shooting stuff is really , really simple.

JST0771

Cadet
Well... there was a lot of experience gained in this venture! I won't beat myself up over too much. Living it down from my friends may take awhile.

I'll post again after I get everything back together.

Thank you for all your help!

JST0771

Cadet
She runs pretty darn good! Does right up, shifts into gear without stalling, good power, and a top speed of 35mph @ 4800 rpm. I think my tach needs some work.

funny thing. I forgot to open the vent on the fuel tank, but the only problem I noticed was needing to pump the primer bulb was each time.