year 2000 johnson 175 VRO fuel pump rebuild

went to the lake the other day and my 2000 175hp motor would start and only idle unless the bulb was being pumped to get me back to the landing..I m considering rebuilding it vs buying a $599 new one.has anyone done this with success? it seems easy enough and i can save a small fourtune.My motor only has 92 hrrs on it.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
went to the lake the other day and my 2000 175hp motor would start and only idle unless the bulb was being pumped to get me back to the landing..I m considering rebuilding it vs buying a $599 new one.has anyone done this with success? it seems easy enough and i can save a small fourtune.My motor only has 92 hrrs on it.

After the rebuild I suggest you make a mark on the oil tank and run pre-mix until you see oil level drop substantially.

double oil won't hurt.

this will ensure that something on the oil side did not mess up.

it's also an opportunity to check the no oil warning circuit. After rebuild run with oil side unhooked until alarm sounds. May take a few minutes at idle. Then bleed oil line and install line to fitting. Continue to run till horn or light turns off. This verifies self priming of VRO side.

DRCrowe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, I just rebuilt my VRO on my 87' 225. I found a nice tear in one of the diaphragms. Just take your time. You may want to replace the fuel lines and snap clamps. while you are at it. This was advise that I got when I asked the same question on this forum. I only replaced the lines inside the motor, Not the ones to the fuel tank. Mine is running 100% again!

Fell free to contact me if you have any questions.

Tarponhead

Recruit
Question: does the rebuild kits available have the parts to rebuild the oil pump side also? ( looking at the diagrams, it appears only an oring is needed). Also, does BRP still make a kit to do this, or are only aftermarket kits available?
These might sound like dumb questions, but I have have spoke to 2 dealers near me and they both answered "NO" to both questions. They told me I must buy a new pump if I want to do that.

For the original poster: the factory shop manual has a series of tests you can run on your rebuilt VRO pump to assure the rebuild was successful. Using a separate tank of premix, and monitoring the oil reserve level is an excellent precaution, as stated above.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no rebuild kit for the oil side because it is just an o-ring on a wee piston.----Nothing to it.-----And some dealers simply do not rebuild because there is a risk that it does not make them any money.-----Selling a complete pump is guaranteed profit !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
.-----And some dealers simply do not rebuild because there is a risk that it does not make them any money.-----Selling a complete pump is guaranteed profit !!
Dealers do not rebuild due to liability issues ..not profit. A repaired pump that damages a motor comes out of dealers pocket. A new pump that causes failure (and yes new ones fail) and BRP foots the bill.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorta the same concept in different wording.----If some one makes a mistake the dealer needs to rework., means lost profit wasted time.!!

Tarponhead

Recruit
So I guess you are saying the needed oring comes in the kit for the oil side? Sorry for the dumb question, but I cant get the answer around here without buying a kit.
i agree on the liability comments, but hell, there are a lot of “easy” mistakes to make that can smoke an engine.

DRCrowe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nothing came in my rebuild kit except for the fuel side parts. I had also been told that there is no rebuild kit for the oil side. I rebuilt my fuel side and it works fine again. it is oiling normal as well.
There were several good YouTube videos that I watched before I attempted rebuilding mine. It helped me a lot as did the advise on this board.